What's new

Need Some Help?

burlington

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Started exploring a couple of hay fields on the ege of an old town. Some of the houses around the area date back to the late 1800's. Do not have any history of the properties that may shed some light on these items. The first item is 2-3/4" long and 1-1/8" at its widest point. It appears to be made from brass with no moving parts.

The second item is 1-7/8" x 1-1/8". The rivet will rotate. The back of the plate is stamped "HAS CL??HE & SONS" "BLOOMFIELD, NEW JERSEY"

Any help would be appreciated, it may help me understand the history of this property.

Thanks, Happy Hunting.
 

Attachments

  • Leesville 003.webp
    Leesville 003.webp
    18.4 KB · Views: 265
  • Leesville 004.webp
    Leesville 004.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 249
  • Leesville 005.webp
    Leesville 005.webp
    25 KB · Views: 243
both are horse tack related. first piece hooks around the reins second probably off of a saddle for holding a side sack. these are just guesses. and i'm back quiet...
 
Upvote 0
traderoftreasures said:
both are horse tack related. first piece hooks around the reins second probably off of a saddle for holding a side sack. these are just guesses. and i'm back quiet...

True first one is a Gag Loop.
 
Upvote 0
I think I figured out the 2nd one somewhat - I think it is Charles Cluthe & Sons. Here is a shot from the 1945 Bloomfield directory:

2salevr.jpg


I found Charles Cluthe in the 1910 census in the business of Surgical Tools. The family members are also listed as Truss manufacturers. When i did a google I found a bunch of hits for "The Cluthe Rupture Institute" & "Cluthe's Advice to the Ruptured" I.e.

http://books.google.com/books?id=q7...ook_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CBkQ6AEwBw

Looks like that maybe device was possibly something to treat a hernia :-X ouch.
 
Upvote 0
There are several like that in my 1900 Sears Catalog. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
:occasion18: He is back! :occasion16: Don't know if you have been gone for a while or not but sorry I cant keep quiet!
 
Upvote 0
Thanks gang,

Knowing what you have found helps put together a picture of what was going on at that site. Not quite sure how the hernia truss will factor into my assessment of the site, but every bit helps. Again, thanks for the help.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom