Need some Help

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Ive been toying with the idea of diving for civil war relics. I have a good site that has civil war lines that run right up to the edge of a pond that is period. Ive got a good idea that there should be relics at the bottom. I got tons of questions. Anyone ever dove in a pond to recover anything? What kind of detector should I get? I have always wanted to get certified to dive so now would be a good time as any. I also have access to diving gear. I'm just trying to kinda feel this all out. So really any input would be great. Thanks in advance.
Matt

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Not familiar with Va ponds, but here in Florida they can be crystal clear to mud. I am sure that is how it is there. No telling how it is. Many are clear enough to see. The problem with many lakes and ponds is, there is no real current, so the dust and sediment slowly builds up and in the deep parts can be mucky and get murky fast. Some have hard sand bottoms and are nice. No telling without looking. Walking around the pond can tell if it is clear of course. If you cant see down 2 feet, it is not very clear. And as it gets deeper, it gets darker when it is that murky. You will need an underwater detector, but you dont need a PI dectector. But maybe you should seeing that it is near a CW area.

OP
OP
ynpto804

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, This pond is your good old southern brown farm pond. I know from swimming in these types of ponds that it has lots of mud on the bottom. I guess my question is How hard would it be to recover a item from the bottom? With all that mud and much to search through how long would it take? And under that mud there should be a regular old dirt how hard would it be to get through that? Knowing the history of this area I know it was occupied for about 3 years by the South and then by the North. And that there were multiple buckles removed from there. I guess I am trying to convince myself to just do it a little. Any way thanks again for the response.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nothing heavy stays in the soft mud, it sinks until it stops. 140 years has gone by, and the sediment has accumulated. So it is deeper than the top of the hard sand or mud. You could try a scoop, I would think a solid stainless steel one. You have to lever it out, and you probably will have to dig a bit, but it should be worth it. And when you dig, of course the water will cloud up. You have to be able to keep on digging. Enough said. Maybe it will stay clear, but usually it will be like the black cloud coming up. Hang in there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread