G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reed Lukens said:
Yea, but you already have the drop box in the side boxes and that's where all of the heavies are going to go. If you see a lot of black sand in the center box then it will need some adjustment. Other then that all of the fine gold should drop into the side boxes leaving nothing in the center box except the larger nuggets and pickers. Setting something on top of the expanded under the punch plate is a good idea or you could try some ½" woven wire like Keene uses today in the main box. If you have material, I would put a longer damper in the center box. I have friends who put them in the side boxes also but I don't remember if it helped much other than killing the air bubbles.

I agree with the drop box I was just explaining where I was coming from...
I had planed to turn some 1"angle up on its end and weld it to the punch plate to both make Edie's and help push the raised 1" expanded metal
Down into the moss or carpet.. They will be 2" long apiece to set the punch plate back to its original position ...
I watched a vid of yours the had the angle turned on its end and epoxied to the expanded metal that's where I got the idea plus I needed to set the punch plate back up as it use to set on the riffles ...

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That works really good, I JB welded it temporarily cause that expanded was so thin that it would have burned through. mig it to the punch plate permanently, they are great riffles set in that way.

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reed Lukens said:
That works really good, I JB welded it temporarily cause that expanded was so thin that it would have burned through. mig it to the punch plate permanently, they are great riffles set in that way.

Hay Reed
I'm haveing a hard time finding expanded metal to use but I did find some free vortex matting from a local hose and belt shop
Whom I do alot of business with ... So my question is would Thisbe good under the punch plate in the front of my main box and if so
Should I run anything over the top to slow. Wearing ?
Thanks gary
I'd say I can find it but I'd have to buy a whole sheet just to get a 22x30 piece

Attachments

• image-1181325850.jpg
    image-1181325850.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 97
  • image-1244774816.jpg
    image-1244774816.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hoser John said:
JUST RUN THE D THANG AND QUIT AS YOUR GONNA GOLDFARD D LL OUTTA IT-John

Well John I extended my box and don't want to leave it slick alumin bottom ...
I was gona put expanded metal in the front section under the punch plate and move the riffles back but I don't want to buy a full sheet for a 22x30 section !
Just trying to figure a alternative to using the punch plate and the vortex Matt was givin to me so I just thought I would use it !
But didnt know if I should run some flattened expanded over that ... It is available local ..
Not trying to goldfard just trying to fix this thing right the first time!

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to use the Vortex the punch plate needs to be 1/8" or smaller. Maybe 3/16, so I would try it in the sides but now down the center. On another not we have really been watching the Vortex matting in Rodney's gold cube and it needs to be mounted straight in line with the top or the gold will start traveling to the down side and then on out. Mike from Gold Cube says that the belt comes that way (crooked) and it does but for our recovery systems it needs to be mounted straight or flush with the top.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions