Need some opinions- Whites Spectrum XLT circa 1998

JP66

Nov 29, 2007
Belmont County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Hey folks.
Has been a LONG time since posting. Had a question and was looking for some feedback. I have my spectrum xlt that I have had since 1998. Was thinking about buying a new one. It seems to work ok. In your opinions, should I go with newer technology or stick with the 1998 model? Just curious.
Thanks all. :icon_thumright::icon_thumleft:
JP

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing wrong with the ol' XLT. I know a guy that has 20+ detectors many are new "top line" models. His fav is early 90's Whites Eagle.
Grass isn't really any greener on the other side, just shinier!

If it works fine and you like it, I just keep it. I've been seeing older machines keeping pace with my VX3 & MXT Pro recently and it's making me question why I've spent what I have!

OP
OP
JP66

JP66

Nov 29, 2007
Belmont County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Thanks Fella. Should I have it checked out by White's to make sure all well? It's been about a year & half since I last used it.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Fella. Should I have it checked out by White's to make sure all well? It's been about a year & half since I last used it.

Guess that would be up to you. I'd just take it out and use it. Maybe bury a few targets & if it responds the way you remember and/or expect, you're good to go. If not, you could send it in for a clean bill of health. FWIW, my brothers Garrett hadn't been turned on for 10+ years until recently and it works just fine.

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If its not broke don't fix it!!. Use that thing till it dies then get another.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only get a new one if you wanna play with something else. Some of the newer ones are lighter and others are heavier. The new ones aren't all that much deeper, just do it differently.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent my XLT back a few weeks ago. It was doing OK, but seemed to need ground balancing periodically, it also gave false signals more than usual, or would completely lose a signal once in a great while. These seemed like minor problems, but I finally broke down and sent it back. Below is a list of repairs with the cost of each item. This was money well spent!

Spectrum XLT Keypad $3.72
DFX LCD Assembly $15.89
Spectrum XLT Pod Front $1.31
Loop Cover, New 950 LP $0
Spectrum XLT LCD Window $3.33
New LP Decal, DFX/MXT Left $1.03
9.5 XLT Loop $21.13
Pro Star Headphones $28.73
Case/Loop Conn Assem $4.34
Battery Holder Assem $3.32
Test and Inspect $0
Labor $54.00
Return Freight $14.95
Grand Total $151.75

My XLT is now better than it was brand new!

Last edited:
OP
OP
JP66

JP66

Nov 29, 2007
Belmont County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
I sent my XLT back a few weeks ago. It was doing OK, but seemed to need ground balancing periodically, it also gave false signals more than usual, or would completely lose a signal once in a great while. These seemed like minor problems, but I finally broke down and sent it back. Below is a list of repairs with the cost of each item. This was money well spent!

Spectrum XLT Keypad $3.72
DFX LCD Assembly $15.89
Spectrum XLT Pod Front $1.31
Loop Cover, New 950 LP $0
Spectrum XLT LCD Window $3.33
New LP Decal, DFX/MXT Left $1.03
9.5 XLT Loop $21.13
Pro Star Headphones $28.73
Case/Loop Conn Assem $4.34
Battery Holder Assem $3.32
Test and Inspect $0
Labor $54.00
Return Freight $14.95
Grand Total $151.75

My XLT is now better than it was brand new!

That's what I like to hear. Thanks a bunch!!! I reached out to Whites via email. Hope to hear back today.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to help. I sent mine to Sweet Home, Oregon.

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trading your XLT for a newer XLT would result in zero net gain. If you must move on, consider a DFX, otherwise, stick with what works for you.
Many capacitors have an effective life of about 20 years, then start breaking down, so it is a good idea to send an older unit in for a going over.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tgat would be an excellent upgrade xlt- to the dfx its a great detector I use the v3i which I love to make my own programs & like to c & anylize What im digging with the dfx ull just about get the same multi frequncy detection has graphs & u can make up ur own programs aswell to suit ur needs whites make great detectors

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello JP66,
You've gotten pretty much the entire field of responses on your XLT and for the most part, if it is not broke do not fix it though Twinkletoes input was interesting in at least two ways. First he had a machine that was doing a few things it should not and then when it was sent in some components were swapped out for new DFX parts. So if when you try your machine out and it does something odd send it to Whites for an overhaul. Upgrading to a DFX might not be the best direction as the DFX and the XLT are quite similar machines - Jimmy Sierras book on the DFX can also be used for the XLT and as you have seen with Twinkle digits, some DFX/XLT parts interchange. The DFX is a good machine, the XLT is a good machine but if you are going to go newer you might just as well go NEW all the way around.

I've sent my XLT in once and Whites was all over it, the rivets for the handle needed replacing. If you send yours in send in everything you have for it, coils and all. When it comes back you will know for certain all the bugs will be in a trash can at Whites in Sweet Home. Happy Hunting with whatever machine you choose to use..............................63bkpkr

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello JP66,
You've gotten pretty much the entire field of responses on your XLT and for the most part, if it is not broke do not fix it though Twinkletoes input was interesting in at least two ways. First he had a machine that was doing a few things it should not and then when it was sent in some components were swapped out for new DFX parts. So if when you try your machine out and it does something odd send it to Whites for an overhaul. Upgrading to a DFX might not be the best direction as the DFX and the XLT are quite similar machines - Jimmy Sierras book on the DFX can also be used for the XLT and as you have seen with Twinkle digits, some DFX/XLT parts interchange. The DFX is a good machine, the XLT is a good machine but if you are going to go newer you might just as well go NEW all the way around.

I've sent my XLT in once and Whites was all over it, the rivets for the handle needed replacing. If you send yours in send in everything you have for it, coils and all. When it comes back you will know for certain all the bugs will be in a trash can at Whites in Sweet Home. Happy Hunting with whatever machine you choose to use..............................63bkpkr

63bkpkr is totaly correct unless u really thinl somethings wrong with it no point in being down without for them not to do anything cuz it was Fine if u want a real nice udgrade considering the xlt is almost a dfx consider gettin the v3i, I have it & its just an animal, lots of fin to use really

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello JP66,

Twinkle digits? Oh, you must be referring to my brother.

:)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread