What's new

Need some serious help...ID needed! (ID SOLVED!! Thanks everyone!!)

plumloko

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
302
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, Whites XLT
This coin is Brass, 39mm, Reeded edge.
It almost looks like the "40" was made to be punched.
Your help is greatly appreciated!
 

Attachments

  • Picture 014.webp
    Picture 014.webp
    16.6 KB · Views: 300
  • Picture 015.webp
    Picture 015.webp
    18.2 KB · Views: 314
  • Picture 016.webp
    Picture 016.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 316
  • Picture 017.webp
    Picture 017.webp
    25.1 KB · Views: 306
  • Picture 018.webp
    Picture 018.webp
    11.6 KB · Views: 306
Re: Need some serious help...ID needed!

I believe it's a Brazil 40 Reis coin, countermarked for the city of Ico. The dates in Krause range from 1811 to 1832. I'll try to find a pic...



Found one, this is dated 1822.
 

Attachments

  • Brazil40.webp
    Brazil40.webp
    17.1 KB · Views: 271
Upvote 0
Re: Need some serious help...ID needed!

Empire of Brazil 40 Reis, 1826 or thereabouts. Countermarked in 1835 or shortly after the law of that year ordered the countermarking. I'm just showing one side, because yours is better on the other side than the one I found a picture of. PEDRO II, 1831-1889.
brazil1.webp
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need some serious help...ID needed!

Mackaydon said:
Where did you find it?

What consecutive letters can you make out?
On the left side of the 40 i can see PEIR
On the right, PET PER
On the back C + SIGN
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need some serious help...ID needed!

Fast_Dave said:
I believe it's a Brazil 40 Reis coin, countermarked for the city of Ico. The dates in Krause range from 1811 to 1832. I'll try to find a pic...



Found one, this is dated 1822.
I think this one is right on the money!
Now that I know where to look i think the date on this one is 1831.
Worth anything?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need some serious help...ID needed!

My Krause is pretty old, but the copper content probably has more value than the coin. About $1.00-$2.00 present value

Thought I better clarify, I don't mean to detract from a terrific coin find. It just seems that early foreign copper has an extremely low collector value when compared to American coinage of the same period.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need some serious help...ID needed!

Am I too late?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need some serious help...ID needed!

Big sucker huh... I found one about 3 years ago.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick help!! You guys are awesome!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need some serious help...ID needed!

bigcypresshunter said:
Am I too late?
This is one of the few times that you were :thumbsup:

fortbball9
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need some serious help...ID needed!

fortbball9 said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Am I too late?
This is one of the few times that you were :thumbsup:

fortbball9
I didnt know what it was anyway.



Plumloko,

If you feel this is solved,

Go back to your original post,

Click on modify,

Click on Message Icon down arrow,

Click on Solved,

the green check will appear.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need some serious help...ID needed!

bigcypresshunter said:
fortbball9 said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Am I too late?
This is one of the few times that you were :thumbsup:

fortbball9
I didnt know what it was anyway.



Plumloko,

If you feel this is solved,

Go back to your original post,

Click on modify,

Click on Message Icon down arrow,

Click on Solved,

the green check will appear.
Thanks for that...learned something new!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom