Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 0

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Canewrap,

Find by research, topo or just scouting where the most likely spot is to hunt. Pick an exact spot 6' X 6' +- detect it, after you have finished very carefully scrape off the top layer of leaves and loose dirt by 4 or 6" or so, then slowly and carefully detect again. When your done,put the dirt and leaves back the way you found it. Give it a try. Joe

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Joe, an excellent idea. In fact, I have a picket post I need to try that on as soon as we get a little more rain.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Canewrap,

A large hoe works good for clearing off duff and cutting a few inches off the ground. I have used this technique many times. Joe

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canewrap--
Another idea is to look for creekbeds and branch runoffs. During battles, these were natural foxhole / trenches. Even the most narrow branches have held goodies. Several years ago I read an "I found it" article by someone who found a couple of CW rifles and a bayonet in the bottom of a branch that cut diagonally across a battlefield. He reported that the cut was narrow enough to step across and he ALMOST ignored it. But, he kneeled down and stuck his MD coil down to the bottom in one area and got some "hits". They were several miniballs. Encouraged, he started at one end and worked along it until he found a bayonet. He kept going and, a while later, hit one rifle. That got his blood up and a little further, found the 2nd rifle. All of that was from a skinny little water ditch / branch that no one before him had checked. They probably ignored it because they didn't want to get a little dirty. :)
Also, remember that back when the battle was fought, the area was alot different in that thickly treed areas today were probably open areas then. But, of course, you knew THAT already. ;D Check out the HARD to search areas.
Good luck.

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Much appreciated ShortStack, that's real good advice that I intend to follow.

Thanks Again,
Canewrap

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find any trenches ,get your shovel and start digging. Remove a foot or two of dirt and start swinging.

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JOE(USA) said:
Canewrap,

A large hoe works good for clearing off duff and cutting a few inches off the ground. I have used this technique many times. Joe

Yes a large hoe. I pick her up about a half hour before my hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread