✅ SOLVED Need to I.D. A Nickel size Disc Found In A Turn Of The Century Site

turf_aholic

May 5, 2009
PNW
**Also posted on Todays finds**

Evening Tnet folks. Picked this out of a monster iron pit that had goodies going back to the late 1800's/early 1900's.
This started out as a nasty glob of corrosion but thru some weak electro cleaning, has started to get my heart going.
Once I started making out the details, I stopped cleaning right away.

7/8" in diameter. Just slightly larger than a US nickel.

This rings up as a solid 11-02 on a Minelab SE.

Any help before I continue (or not) cleaning would be a huge help. If I need to rotate the images, let me know.
Thanks All!!!

Peter
aka. Turfaholic

Attachments

• 5Aug2014d.JPG
    5Aug2014d.JPG
    477.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 5Aug2014c.JPG
    5Aug2014c.JPG
    446.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 77
  • securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It appears to be a ancient Roman or Greek coin! However, there are others that will know for sure and will hopefully post an answer.

Frank

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It appears to be a ancient Roman or Greek coin! However, there are others that will know for sure and will hopefully post an answer.

Frank

Agree. Not much to go on tho. I worked image #1 a little and can see that it is a bust facing right with letters above. Your original image 1 is upsidedown.

The other side may be a lion or Chimera based on the curling, up-raised tail on the right.

DCMatt

Attachments

• mysterycoin2.jpg
    mysterycoin2.jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 76
  • mysterycoin1.jpg
    mysterycoin1.jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
turf_aholic

turf_aholic

May 5, 2009
PNW
Agree. Not much to go on tho. I worked image #1 a little and can see that it is a bust facing right with letters above. Your original image 1 is upsidedown.

The other side may be a lion or Chimera based on the curling, up-raised tail on the right.

DCMatt

DCMatt-THANK YOU for taking the time to work the images!! Big help and now I see what you mean.
I am going with the fact it may be European and looking along those lines.
Again-Thanks a TON for your time on this!!!!!!!!!!!

Peter
aka: Turfaholic

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost certainly a Roman Denarius of one of the Roman Emperors Wives, perhaps one of the Julia's or Faustina. Hard to tell as it looks like the coin has been in a fire.

SS

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 234
  • images44UTHFRZ.jpg
    images44UTHFRZ.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 228
Upvote 0
OP
OP
turf_aholic

turf_aholic

May 5, 2009
PNW
Almost certainly a Roman Denarius of one of the Roman Emperors Wives, perhaps one of the Julia's or Faustina. Hard to tell as it looks like the coin has been in a fire.
SS
Excellent observation Silver Searcher. And you may be right on that. I've been searching the Ancient Coins: Roman, Greek, Byzantine and Celtic Numismatic Reference for Attribution and Values
website and I think you are right in the ball park on that. There is a clear C top left above the crown that is prety distictive. I will be posting to a England forum to see if we can tighten down the location.
Appreciate the reply Silver Searcher!!!

Peter

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the wavey hair it might be Herennia Etrucilla.

Z2863.jpg
DCMatt

Upvote 0

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure of the time frame here, but I'm kind of seeing 833 or something close. Strike that, after looking at D C Matt's picture of Herennia Etrucilla, it's just those little reed looking things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
turf_aholic

turf_aholic

May 5, 2009
PNW
Not sure of the time frame here, but I'm kind of seeing 833 or something close. Strike that, after looking at D C Matt's picture of Herennia Etrucilla, it's just those little reed looking things.

I've done a bit more work on the coin and will post updated photo's tonight here on this thread.
A few more letters coming thru so hopefully better to I.D. it by.
Thanks everybody!!!

Peter

Upvote 0

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way the Tiara, the ear, and the collar line up, I'd say DC Matt nailed it. Nice Find !!

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your right in that time frame. Similar looks and it is silver plated as I have discovered. (Have no idea what the plating is over though)
Thanks DCMatt!!
It's very common for these coins to have a bronze core, then dipped in silver ( Washed Silver, Also Known As Fouree)The silver content decreased as the roman empire declined, it's hard to determin if the decrease in silver content in the coin, is down to forgery, or just the decline in the coinage.

SS

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
turf_aholic

turf_aholic

May 5, 2009
PNW
As promised-A little more careful clean and new images. Thanks everyone for the assistance! I've never found a coin like this before. This was a demo score in a old area but NOT a period find by any means. Thinking that this may be a counterfeit coin or a replica?? There was a ton of corroded bits on the surfaces so been buried for awhile.

Proper scale has this at 3.8 grams 22.22mm in diameter. (7/8")

Attachments

• 5Aug2014e.JPG
    5Aug2014e.JPG
    288.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 5Aug2014f.JPG
    5Aug2014f.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 5Aug2014g.JPG
    5Aug2014g.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Based on size, weight, and the detail we can see I think this is your coin... or darn close to it:

Herennia Etruscilla, AR Antoninianus, 249-253, Rome
HER ETRVSCILLA AVG
Draped bust right on crescent, hair waved and tucked at back of neck, stephane in hair
PVDICITIA AVG
Pudicitia, veiled, seated left, drawing veil with right hand, scepter in left
20mm x 22mm, 3.83g
RIC IV, Part III, 59b (Trajan Decius) (C)

On this page second from the bottom:

Herennia Etruscilla

Awesome find.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of standing figure images on the reverse of Roman silver coins, with out legends it's near impossible to id the correct one. As I said before the coin looks to have been in a fire, this has produced markings on the coin that were never there originally.

SS

Upvote 0
OP
OP
turf_aholic

turf_aholic

May 5, 2009
PNW
So far, I have failed to ID this coin (?), similar to my dismal failure to pass my recent psychological Rorschach ink-blot test.
Don.......
Well Don if you saw images of busts-caps and seated versions of Lady Liberty during the test, then in my book you passed! (It works for me everytime)
Thanks much for looking into this.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
turf_aholic

turf_aholic

May 5, 2009
PNW
again thanks to everybody chiming in on this... Under the loupe I see what I may think is.... Russian letters.
Not sure but going to look at that avenue a bit more. Although I feel DCMatt has the track to the closest I.D.

Peter

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread