Need Very Serious Opinion

Joescollection2012

Apr 5, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found two types of rock that sounded my metal detector off. Since small gold and iron fall into the same category on my detector I can't say for sure what it could be. NOW, The darker colored rock can be picked up with a magnet! While the other one with the goldish hue to the center of it can not.

These two shots are of the magnetic rock: SAM_0626.JPG SAM_0627.JPG
That rock was very, very difficult to crack into it.

These shots are of the non-magnetic rock. SAM_0628.JPG SAM_0629.JPG SAM_0630.JPG
That rock was fairly easy compared to the other rock to crack into.

Should I look into these rocks more or am I wasting my time with some common things that I think are different? Please help, any info would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Joescollection2012

Apr 5, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have already gone out and bought a gold testing kit! lmao.. You would see me pulling in a store that sells them faster than bugs bunny chasing a carrot truck.. Let us know the results!

I will tomorrow is my day off! Also I just found out that there is a geological forum on this site so I posted this there as well.

Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
here is the deal.....my best guess as the item is not in front of me.It looks like muscovite mica on the parent stone.an easy test...tho not always conclusive,,,,is to use your spittle on gold area and see if it darkens....if it does darken you can reasonably assume that it is a mica or pyrite deposit....please let us know

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Joescollection2012

Apr 5, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is the deal.....my best guess as the item is not in front of me.It looks like muscovite mica on the parent stone.an easy test...tho not always conclusive,,,,is to use your spittle on gold area and see if it darkens....if it does darken you can reasonably assume that it is a mica or pyrite deposit....please let us know

Some parts darkened while others did not, most of the yellow spots stayed yellow. While the oranger spots became dark.

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like pyrite to me but its hard to tell in photos.(I made a comparison thread a while back)post it in the hard rock mining section here and Dusted,Takoda,etc will know

Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I must say that the news isnt good.ANY darkening shows reaction to very low levels of acid(in your spittle)of course an acid test is required to comfirm.however....dont get too excited untill after an actual acid test.It does not look good I am compelled to say

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Joescollection2012

Apr 5, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must say that the news isnt good.ANY darkening shows reaction to very low levels of acid(in your spittle)of course an acid test is required to comfirm.however....dont get too excited untill after an actual acid test.It does not look good I am compelled to say
To be honest I never got my hopes up about it, I'm actually more interested in the magnetic rock. But I'll acid test the other just to confirm that it isn't gold.

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find out it's gold you're gonna have too buy us all drinks and dinner! or hey least send us a gift card ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Joescollection2012

Apr 5, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can do, and if it's gold, I left the other half of this rock at the beach when I broke it in half. Ya'll can split that one amongst yourselves hahaha!
If you find out it's gold you're gonna have too buy us all drinks and dinner! or hey least send us a gift card ;)

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for fun!! Along the Rappahannock River in Stafford,Virginia (the county i MD in all the time) Thomas Jefferson found a 4 pound gold-bearing rock in 1782! I have been up and down that river 1000s of times and have yet too find a big gold rock! they are out there though..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Joescollection2012

Apr 5, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be a great day in my book, we don't have too much gold up here in Mass but I still feel like I'll get lucky one of these days

Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
there is a myth that gold is where it is(true...but)the way it is deposited makes it almost impossible to not occur in some degree everywhere.The differance is whether it is concentrated and mineable

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread