NEL coil for ATP???

Eagledigs

Feb 17, 2012
Hattiesburg, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have an AT Pro and mainly hunt w/ 8.5x11 DD..I have hunted a private Civil War battlefield and have pulled out about 175 relics the last 2 years..Mainly fired and dropped bullets that average 4-6 inches in depth..I know there is alot more stuff bc of the volume of men and the amount of fighting. According to the owner (been in the same family since 1840) there has been hardly any detecting done on this land. My uncle and I are the only 2 he lets on to hunt..I want to get deeper and have recently coem across the NEL coils. Anyone w/ much experience w/ these? Are they worth the money and where can I get the best deal on one..Thanks in advance for the replies!

punkass761

Jun 10, 2012
SOUTHERN California
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ATGOLD, GTP 1350,Ace 250,2 propointers, Whites coinmaster,bounty hunter pioneer ex,radio shack vlf. discriminator fisher pinpointer,hf pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They get considerably more depth from what I have seen numerous times. And golddiggermetaldetectors dot com is the only us dealer and they are less expensive than buying from the manufacturer. Take a look on YouTube for nel coil videos .hope this helps HH.

OP
OP
E

Eagledigs

Feb 17, 2012
Hattiesburg, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They get considerably more depth from what I have seen numerous times. And golddiggermetaldetectors dot com is the only us dealer and they are less expensive than buying from the manufacturer. Take a look on YouTube for nel coil videos .hope this helps HH.
Thanks!

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have one of these coils but unfortunately used only once. I purchased the NEL coil right before winter hit so now I must wait until warmer weather arrives because the ground up this way is frozen solid! However, I did find a 22 shell about 8" down on my first & only use so that was impressive to me. But I'll be able to get a better feel for the coil hopefully in the next few months.

Also, do your homework because there are several retailers out there that sell NEL coils. I paid $230 for mine.

Last edited:

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I have a NEL storm. Pm me and I'll send you my air test results I don't want to hog your page. I only have an ace 250 but yes that did give quite a depth increase over my other coils. Mine was a lot lighter then I thought it would be given the size.

I'm a fan of them.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
But to sum it up on coins I was seeing a 1--4.5" increase in depth depending on the coin and that's with only the third to largest coil. I am hitting coins at over 8" and that's with my 250 the at pro gets even better depth so I would say you will be pleased.

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Why dont you jump in whole hog feet first and write up your honest opinions on it? I'm convinced its good stuff but if you want deepness on the garrett pros go bonkers with the 12 x 9 concentric you could hardly do better

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I have heard both good and not so good reports on the Nel coils on detectors. If you purchase one, and compare it to your regular coil you use on the same targets, and get better depth while still maintaining accuracy with ID, and can still run the same sensitivity, you did good. If you purchase one and it does not get much better depth or discrimination or can't be operated at a high sensitivity, you are in a conundrum. The NEL Coil company will blame a faulty AT detector, and Garrett will blame the after market coil. There will be no real way of finding out what the problem is. I presume Nel has a money back guaranty just in case? Good luck with your decision, and let us know how the new coil works. If it's just plain raw depth you are seeking, consider getting a Pulse Induction detector. Garrett currently carries 3 models. Sea Hunter Mark II, the Infinium and the ATX.

Just for your information, Garrett has an article on coils from their website, Just click below to get the link:

Garrett's Searchcoil Tech Sheet | How Searchcoils Work

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Eagledigs

Feb 17, 2012
Hattiesburg, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have heard both good and not so good reports on the Nel coils on detectors. If you purchase one, and compare it to your regular coil you use on the same targets, and get better depth while still maintaining accuracy with ID, and can still run the same sensitivity, you did good. If you purchase one and it does not get much better depth or discrimination or can't be operated at a high sensitivity, you are in a conundrum. The NEL Coil company will blame a faulty AT detector, and Garrett will blame the after market coil. There will be no real way of finding out what the problem is. I presume Nel has a money back guaranty just in case? Good luck with your decision, and let us know how the new coil works. If it's just plain raw depth you are seeking, consider getting a Pulse Induction detector. Garrett currently carries 3 models. Sea Hunter Mark II, the Infinium and the ATX.

Just for your information, Garrett has an article on coils from their website, Just click below to get the link:

Garrett's Searchcoil Tech Sheet | How Searchcoils Work
Thanks John!

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Why dont you jump in whole hog feet first and write up your honest opinions on it? I'm convinced its good stuff but if you want deepness on the garrett pros go bonkers with the 12 x 9 concentric you could hardly do better

Are you referring to me wanting me to give an in depth opinion? If so I will I just didn't want to make a huge post with everything and no one want it.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Here you go

Ordering and warranty: I ordered mine from golddiggermetaldetectors.com and from purchase to retrieving it was about 4 business days. They offer a 14 day money back guarantee. If you decide to return it after then it's a 20% restocking fee.

Quality: the coil wasn't as hard of a substance as stock coils. The stock coil seems to feel like a hard acrylic plastic and the nel feels a little less solid. I view this as a trade off from using lighter weight material. The coil is no where near as heavy as I thought I would be with the size. It does seem well built. It comes with a coil cover and a heavy duty plastic bolt that you can tighten down enough to keep from the coil moving when setting it down.

Performance: the coil seemed more prone to EMI then the smaller coils but I don't know how much that is contributed to being such a large coil. I do have a amped wireless high powered router but I haven't had any problems with my other smaller coils. With that being said around my house I was only able to turn the sensitivity up to 6 out of 8 but air tests at that setting showed almost all coins were reading correctly at 11-12 inches. Away from my house I was able to turn the sensitivity all the way up. These results are on my 250 so I would guess the pro would be slightly more being a deeper machine from the start.

The detector field is about 1.5" x 12" so the separation is fairly good I would say better then the 9 x 12. Pin point was actually pretty easy to learn and accurate.

Overall I would say if you want extra depth in open fields I would say you will like your purchase.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I have the NEL storm which is the 13x14. It is their next size larger then the popular tornado which is 12x13.

oakhunter27

Mar 25, 2010
ohio

What kind of dept are you getting with this the 9 by 12 I thought about buying one for my ATP

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bobby5

Jun 19, 2012
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, AT Pro, Garrett Propointer, Garrett Carrot, Several Older Garrett Detectors and a Bounty Hunter.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Nel Sharpshooter Coil for my AT and I can say Its seems to get more Depth, I own 13 acres and have went over well searched areas and I am digging targets that My other coils were not finding. However the test will be at a site that I have hunted for 2 years and have been coming up empty with really Nice finds. I just have to find the time to get there. I will post here when I have done that.

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes please do Bobby5 i'd like to know myself how nel coils are.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have the Storm on my AT Pro and it goes a lot deeper than the stock coil, just as sensitive. I mainly coin shoot but I'm finding relics and other stuff pretty deep. I have been going over areas I have hunted with the stock coil and I'm finding good coins. The plus also is the coil covers more area on each sweep. I plan on using it full time.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I have the Storm on my AT Pro and it goes a lot deeper than the stock coil, just as sensitive. I mainly coin shoot but I'm finding relics and other stuff pretty deep. I have been going over areas I have hunted with the stock coil and I'm finding good coins. The plus also is the coil covers more area on each sweep. I plan on using it full time.

Are you having any problems with it going crazy with the sensitivity all the way up. Mine goes crazy inside my house if it is above 6

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread