nesting cedar spoons

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i apologize for the lack of pix but these are not mine and i didn't get permission to post... I will work on that. Last week i had the opportunity to see and handle three cedar spoons that were found at a coastal village site that i am well acquainted with. First off let me state that wooden artifacts of any kind found in coastal PNW are exceedingly rare... although wood was a primary source of material, not much before the historical period survives... so these three spoons are noteworthy.

They are about 18 inches long and they fit together precisely. Now here is the awesome part... they fit together precisely because they were all made from the same "block" of cedar. So it seems that someone roughed out a "spoon" shape... handle, head, size... and then set the block on one end and, split, split, split the block into three exact spoons.

Now here is the trippy part... you know how when you are splitting wood with an axe you now and then hit a knot and the piece splits with a "wave" in it as it goes past the knot? That is how these three spoons were made! The bowls are not carved out, they follow a natural curve in the cedar block. Whoever made these knew what they were doing that is for sure... someone could really the wood the way many of us can read a good stone!

Upvote 7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread