cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All. As probably most of you, we find many head stamps in the areas we go. Btoots and I have found (100) or so where this one was dug...mostly common gauges w few No 10's. The site is an old wooded area that had a road and at least one 1900's home-site on it.

I know I have dug my share of head stamps over the years... even found a No 28 one time...but I have never seen a No 14.

Some diggers don't like finding head stamps but I keep 'em and enjoy finding 'em...they help date site activity, many times there is other good stuff nearby, and once in while you find an odd one like this No 14. Pretty sure it's pre-1911.

Anyway not a great find but I thought it might be of interest. Thanks for the view and Good Luck out there. C9

Attachments

• T Woods 121017 Obv.jpg
    T Woods 121017 Obv.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 172
  • T Woods 121017 Rev.jpg
    T Woods 121017 Rev.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 19
Looks like this one got dropped. The primer hasn't been struck. Very nice old brass head stamp in a rare gauge. Thanks for sharing it mate.:icon_thumright:

Hello Kurios1. You are welcome...yup a drop for sure. We seem to find a lot of them at this site...of the last (16) I dug there (4) were unstruck..

Thanks for the reply and Good Luck out there. C9

Okay, that's one RARE headstamp! Just went through mine and found ZERO No. 14 casings in the 608 I have saved. I separated them and here's my totals:

No. 10 (9), No. 12 (478), No. 16 (61), No. 20 (56), .410 (4)

Only found one pinfire casing, a No 12. Guess those are pretty rare as well. Here's a photo of all 608. Time to go to bed!

View attachment 1526671

Hello FBT. Now you got me wanting to sort mine too. I have 5 or 6-hundred of them also. Thanks for the reply and Good Luck out there. C9

I need to check mine now

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back