Never wait too long to recover an item

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
especially when you believe there is something down there.

My first time out with the GTI 2500 (and first time using a metal detector) resulted in this beauty, a 1943 Mercury dime. It was down about 6 inches and looks about un-circulated, minus the big scratch I put in it. I found it not even in two minutes with my first metal detector, on a spot that I had put a lot time thinking about. It was an empty lot across the street from an old high school.

It was almost dark when my family and I went to the site so all I could dream about was going back there the next day. I finally had time to go, again close to dark, and had to bring my little five year old who wanted to do the digging. We started swinging again and found quite a bit of clad, a little over $3.50. I finally hit a spot that produced 3 wheat pennies and then another surprise, a 1946 Roosevelt.

I went back a third time a few days later and found 2 more wheat pennies and a few modern pennies. Before I left I decided to try a spot close to a large tree and started getting signals for coin size objects at around 8 inches. When I tried to recover the items, I hit several small and large roots. I couldn’t get around them.

Two months passed before I had time to go back again. I had ordered a new digging tool with a saw edge that claims that it can get through anything. It came in the mail and I grabbed up the GTI and headed out the door. When I arrived at the location I almost broke down in tears. There were signs up of no trespassing because they are building a park on it for a canoe landing. The tree is gone and there is concrete pored over the location. I’ll never know what those signals were.

The one thing that I learned, besides how to use my metal detector is never wait too long to recover a target……

Attachments

• 1943 mercury.jpg
    1943 mercury.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 235
Upvote 0
Pic of the 1943 Mercury, 1946 Roosevelt, and 3 wheat cents

Attachments

• group shot.jpg
    group shot.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 249
Very nice finds!!!
Yep I feel your pain.
I hunted a site in the city, a half block in size that was for sale, Detected it 3 times and found coins, some back to the 1800's. Went back for a fourth time to find it had a new chain link fence around it with a gate that was locked. While trying to find who had bought the ground, it got paved over. You just hate to lose sites like that. Better luck next time. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back