Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I havenā€™t taken the machine out yet since thereā€™s a foot of snow out there, but Iā€™m sitting here trying to decipher the user manual. Iā€™ve just upgraded from a coinmaster prism and Iā€™m hoping to get away from some of the problems Iā€™ve had with it. I detect a site where an airliner crashed in 1948, so thereā€™s lots of trash, with the prism Iā€™ll get a strong hit showing 50 cent on the screen but I just end up digging up a scrap of aluminum, once in a great while Iā€™ll get something good but Iā€™d say 95 percent of the time itā€™s just aluminum plane parts. Can the 540 work through this problem ? Also, the 540 came with 2 coils, one small and one big but the manual doesnā€™t say anything about them. Any advice out there ???

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own a 540 but I do know that your small coil is good for searching in very trashy areas. It might take a little longer but is worth the time.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Small coil is best in trash, and can really separate well. Big coil gives better depth, and is just a touch slower in recovery speed. Pay attention to Notching, and the different modes (Artifact is deepest but requires a slower swing than Coin).

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once you learn the target ID numbers it will help you guess what is under the coil. That alone will be miles above the older Prism screen. The multi IQ tech usually will consistently be within 1 or 2 numbers every time with coins. For example, unless a coin is on it's side, a dime will consistently ring up as 24/25/26. The TDI numbers are virtually the same between the Equinox and Vanquish. There are tons of TDI charts and videos of the Equinox numbers. The TDI numbers aren't fool proof, but more of a suggestion. The pinpoint function can also tell you how big an object is. Try pinpointing a dime versus an aluminum can. The stock coil will be deeper, but will not separate between targets in a trashy environment as well as the smaller coil. The smaller coil will separate better, but get an inch or 2 less depth. The coils are also DD instead of the concentric on the Prism. Then there is also recovery speed to consider. Relic is the slowest and coin is the fastest. Ideally in a trashy environment, I would try the small coil in coin mode. I would suggest watching some videos to get a better understanding of it because the difference between the Vanquish and the older Prism is huge in terms of technology.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Started writing mine earlier and walked away from the computer. Didn't realize Terry had posted. Look like he's got you covered on the TDI #'s. :icon_thumleft:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Started writing mine earlier and walked away from the computer. Didn't realize Terry had posted. Look like he's got you covered on the TDI #'s. :icon_thumleft:

The more info the better Brother!:headbang:

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Target display indicator. I picked that up from an old detector manual and still use it sometimes and confuse everybody. Sometimes it was also TND (target numeric display). Most people call it VDI since they stopped making analog machines with needle indicators.

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy)
Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the 8 inch coil and it does awesome in trashy areas! Learn the tones and numbers in your down time!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What does recovery speed mean ?

https://www.minelab.com/community/t...eed defines how quickly,coil at the same time.

"...Imagine you have three different coins in a row, three inches apart, nine inches total. All three coins can be under the coil at the same time. For this example assume it takes exactly one second to swing the coil nine inches over all the coins. Our imaginary detector has a recovery speed control calibrated from 1 to 3 with each setting representing faster recovery speeds. The setting of 1 means the detector can take one snapshot per second. A setting of 2 is two snapshots per second and 3 means three snapshots per second."

Last edited:

JohnnyRox

Greenie
Aug 29, 2020
LI
Detector(s) used
Equinox, Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
With that much scattered aluminum from the crash, you'll still be digging up lots of aluminum scraps. I would concentrate on TID numbers no higher than 19 to try and weed out the aluminum.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TDI more commonly referred to as VDI nowadays [Visual Display Identification]

OP
OP
Bruce R

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I took the 540 out this morning, it was a disaster. I thought I had a handle on what the manual was telling me, but I guess not. I set up targets so I could write down the individual signal numbers, pennies , nickels, dimes, quarters, halves, and a silver dollar, and for each of the coins I used a contemporary coin and itā€™s old counterpart. One curious thing I noticed was that a quarter reads 29 like the manual says, but 2 or 3 quarters grouped together still only registered 29. Anyway, I took it out into a park that my house borders on and after an hour I had nothing, I had all sorts of chirps and squeaks and squealing, but no repeatable signals,. I went out in coin mode and tried all the other modes as well, up and down with the sensitivity, iron bias, etc. I went back to the house, got my Prism and started going over the same ground and found $1.23 in about 15 minutes. Iā€™m a little pissed about it, Iā€™m thinking maybe I wasted $400 on the 540 ?????

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New detectors take time to learn. You have probably many hours in the prism. Even if you bought a thousand dollar machine it takes time to learn it.

OP
OP
Bruce R

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Youā€™re probably right, Iā€™m used to my Prism being pretty much silent until it hits something, this 540 never shuts up, Iā€™m gonna switch to the small coil and go back out.

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The small coil is very good in trashy spots. If itā€™s chattering to much back off sensitivity a little. I kind of hated my vanquish at first as well. But I am starting to live it more each day.

Iggy_AZ

Sep 26, 2020
Phoenix Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro
Garrett ACE 350
Minelab SD2200V2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out this Vanquish Tutorial video.
Outstanding if you need help understanding what the termonolgy means and does.

Attachments

• Iron_Bias.jpg
    Iron_Bias.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Tony-Ok

Jun 27, 2019
Oklahoma City Ok
Detector(s) used
XP ORX and Minelab 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 540 will be a sparky machine, just reduce the sensitivity a notch or two. It will take some time to learn how to work through the noise !! Thatā€™s normal going from one detector to another.

Iggy_AZ

Sep 26, 2020
Phoenix Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro
Garrett ACE 350
Minelab SD2200V2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just some more facts about the Vanquish 540

Multi-IQ technology is one of Minelabā€™s most impressive technological advancements. This technology allows the detector to function on multiple frequencies at once. Rather than having adjustable frequencies, this line of detectors can operate on all 5 of the frequencies simultaneously. The Vanquish line canoe operate on single frequencies, unlike some of Minelabā€™s other multiple frequency detectors. Operating frequencies are: 5 kHz, 10 kHz, 15 kHz, 20 kHz, and 40 kHz. The lower frequencies are best for highly conductive metals like silver, while the higher frequencies are best for lower conductivity metals like gold.

Multi-IQ allows uses to search areas that have already been hunted because of the different frequencies. This is one of the only entry-level metal detectors I have seen that can find gold because of the higher frequencies. Vanquish 540, and the others in the line, also maintain accurate Target ID at maximum depth compared to most single frequency detectors. As more than one frequency is transmitted, received, and processed simultaneously, the detector can maintain target sensitivity across all target types and sizes while keeping ground noise to a minimum

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread