New Ace 200 Feedback

BrandonR

Apr 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am super excited that my first ever machine will be here tomorrow but am looking for some feedback. I bought the new Garrett Ace 200 as it is really all I can afford and been wanting to MD for many years. here is the link to where I bought it and the specs. Garrett Ace 200- Kellyco I was just wondering if this is a good machine. From what I read it is an upgraded version of the 150 but seems to be the same as the 250 as far as depth and khz etc. Only difference I can see is that it doesn't have a pinpoint feature. So any feedback would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You've been a member over 2 years!!!

Congratulations and best wishes as you move forward. Just remember, sometimes it's not so much fun, but then come those times of utter delight.

Keep the faith!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just compared the 150 vs the 200 online. Looks like a good detector to learn the craft. I almost always pin point my target using the X pattern swing. This lets me verify the VDI reading and where to dig. I would invest in a good pin pointer though. My wife bought me a Garrett Carrot for Christmas (bless her) to replace my ailing Garrett Pro Pointer. I did not use one for my 1st 6 months of detecting and had dug about $400 in mostly clad. I will not detect without one now. It really speeds up target recovery. Good Luck.

If I were you, I'd throw a variety of coins on the ground, so that you can learn the tones and what VDI the coins ring up as. You should dig most targets when you hunt to learn and then use the tone and VDI to determine whether to dig or not.

My experience with Garrett customer service was a good one. I sent the pin pointer in to have the switch replaced and they practically sent me a new one for a very reasonable price.

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 DD, Si Robertson TC2X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first time I ever used a metal detector I used an ace 200 I thought it did a good job! I found the oldest coin I have found to date with that machine and it just so happens it was my first find ever. The find was a copper penny dated 1967. It's not as old or valuable as most the coins posted on here but it was my first find so it's kind of special to me. I would suggest getting a pin pointer though.

OP
OP
B

BrandonR

Apr 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information. Troller I think you used the Ace 250 as the 200 just came out last month. Also I am getting the Cen-Tech Pinpointer from Harbor Freight as I seen really good reviews about it and it only costs 17.99 plus I have a 20% coupon. I may make some modifications to it though as I seen others do on youtube. Any feedback on this would be appreciated as well.

As for the 200, I was wondering if it is a good machine to start with and if the depth is good and if it will find cool stuff mainly. Thanks again all.

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 DD, Si Robertson TC2X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mistake! It was some years ago that I rented it. It was pretty functional for a rental so it could very well have been the 250. I didn't know that Harbor freight sold pin pointers though! I was just in there on Friday looking at a belt sander for my leather working. I was about a week late for that sale and left without looking around too much. Currently I am in the market for a trowel. I am considering a lasche or a whites. I haven't really settled on one yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread