What's new

New bank offered me boxes without fees

jim4silver

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
3,662
Reaction score
496
Golden Thread
0
I want to get your opinions on this. The bank where I have been taking my dumps so far has offered me boxes. The branch that offered them is where I do my main banking (I never dump at their branch because they don't have a coin counting machine there), however, I do take my dumps to other branches of that bank.

Anyway, I was there today and they know I CRH, because I have talked to them about it. I have my business accounts there and they know me well and are very nice people. They had told me before that a long time customer ordered lots of boxes weekly (4-6). Today I asked if he was still coming in to buy them and they said he stopped his orders a few weeks ago because he was not finding what he wanted (silver, I presume). I wonder if he is getting my dumps?

That brings me to the million dollar question. Do I let them order me a few boxes a week? I told the teller that my other bank wanted to charge me $5 per box and I stopped getting boxes from them. She said she would not charge me and I could get 4 boxes per week if I want. I asked her if it increased the costs to the bank to order the boxes of halves like that and she said it did not. This bank uses BRINKS by the way.

If I knew 100% that all banks' dumps (generally speaking) went into a sort of collective pool and were rolled, versus the coin company returning a bank's loose coins back to the bank that sent them in, I would take them up on their offer.

But I have a few banks getting me boxes now and I would have to cancel one out to buy from this new bank, due to lack of extra cash and extra reject dumps I would have to make.

Thanks for any input.

Jim
 
Upvote 0
I would say give it a try. Don't tell JD but mark your halves. Do it discreetly on the edge for a set amount of time. See what percentage you get back.

I never dump into my source pool but I still get 10-20% of my marked halves back. Contrary to what some say I do get silver in rolls that have my marked coins. ;D
 
Have them order one box and see how it goes- if the rolls say Brinks on them then Brinks is just rerolling what they get in- if not they may be CWI boxes and that would be that "pool" you mentioned. CRH goes in cycles, maybe the other guy just didn't want to go through another dry spell or he was newbie enough to never seen one and thought he got it all. HH Mark
 
Silver Stripe said:
Have them order one box and see how it goes- if the rolls say Brinks on them then Brinks is just rerolling what they get in- if not they may be CWI boxes and that would be that "pool" you mentioned. CRH goes in cycles, maybe the other guy just didn't want to go through another dry spell or he was newbie enough to never seen one and thought he got it all. HH Mark
cyberdan said:
I would say give it a try. Don't tell JD but mark your halves. Do it discreetly on the edge for a set amount of time. See what percentage you get back.

I never dump into my source pool but I still get 10-20% of my marked halves back. Contrary to what some say I do get silver in rolls that have my marked coins. ;D

Thanks for the suggestions. I may give it a try for a couple of weeks and see how good the results are. I don't have the time to mark the coins, so I will just have to judge by the finds I get. I don't even read the dates on all the coins, I view the rims only. I have gotten pretty good at spotting not only 40%s, but also proofs by doing this. I do wind up checking quite a few that turn out to only be clad, but I would rather do this than throw out keepers.

Jim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom