What's new

New beach, old watch, and the usual.

ctbob

Full Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
163
Reaction score
118
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent a couple of hours on a new beach today mostly in the rocks below the slope. I got my usual clad and bunch of sinkers, and an old watch. The odd part to me was that I found four old coins,(1965 to 1984) basically in one hole. I'd pull one out and go back for another. The total area dug was only about 1 foot by 2 foot. they looked like they were there for awhile, and I did find another nickle close by, before the tide pushed me off the spot. I'll be back. P1000019.webp
Just like most of my hunts, I got alot of sinkers. Maybe if I spent less time digging the high tones on my cz21, I'd finally get my first gold ring. When I get enough I'll probably sell them to a scrap dealer. Does anyone know if I should be separating the ones with the brass eyes from the plain lead ones? Thanks in advance, and good luck out there.
 
Upvote 0
Nice post, Ct Bob. Those sinkers add up fast; I have a bucketful that has to be brought to scrap metal in Thomaston.

Go back to those rocky areas...good luck on your next hunt.

Lorraine
 
You might be better off selling them as used sinkers to fisherman then in scrap. Post on craiglist and im sure you could have a 5 gal bucket full sold in a weekend, and get 10 x the money you would get from a scrapper.

(edit : if they no longer have an eyelet... scrap them, lol)
 
seperate lead from brass and steel .
brass is worth mutch more . i also save aluminum as it is wort .40 a pound here in N.B.
 
thanks everyone. SneadsferryMD, the last time I checked craigs list, there were a couple of guys in ct. selling sinkers for 2 dollars a lb. Even though that's more than double scrap value, not sure I want to put up with possible aggravation of multiple sales and there complications.
 
They sell new for 3 bucks for a 5 oz here! Maybe just save them up until its time for a garage sale.
 
They sell new for 3 bucks for a 5 oz here! Maybe just save them up until its time for a garage sale.
Our walmart has them for 4.50 a lb, and cabela's catalog has them at 11.99 for 2 lbs plus shipping. I hate selling them to a scrap yard for under a dollar a lb. I live in a condo which rules out a garage sale, and I know the guy who gives the local tackle shop sinkers, so I don't have many choices.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom