crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone, Been on the road out west and just got back yesterday. I needed my R&R so you know what I had to do. :laughing7: I went to a new site that I had permission to hunt back in the spring but the grass had been too high. Well the farmer finally gave it a haircut and I was loving it when I drove up to it yesterday and say that it had been cut. It's still a little tall (5 inches) but not tall enough to give up a few keepers. One of them my oldest yet........1828 LC

There was an old colonial style home there until the early 70's. It was burnt down by the fire department in a training excercise. ??? I guess it was too old and no one wanted it anymore. I was told by the farmer who is 75 that the home across the road is similar to the one that was there. He also told me a story about 2 old ladies that lived there in it's final years. They were always next to the fireplace trying to keep warm in that old home by themselves. Too bad it had to end that way :-[

I headed up the lane that leads back to where the home stood. Having hunted there before a little I knew that the area where the home actually stood was littered with melted debris and junk. So I concentrated away from the yard and down the sloping hillside. Not 15 minutes in to the hunt I dug a LC. I thought first that it was a draped bust but maybe next time. I also dug a modern merc :laughing7: New compared to the 1828 LC I had just dug.

I included a picture of the house across the street and also a picture of 1 of 3 large white oaks on the property. I parked my detecting car beside the largest. It must be 3-4 hundred years old. I'll have to look good around these trees for coins from picnics of centuries ago. ::)

Thanks for looking......Ron

012-13.jpg

008-18.jpg

010-19.jpg

001-16.jpg

011-17.jpg

009-18.jpg

002-17.jpg

003-17.jpg

004-18.jpg

005-18.jpg

006-17.jpg

007-18.jpg

013-15.jpg

015-9.jpg

016-9.jpg

002-31.jpg

001-29.jpg

017-10.jpg

018-9.jpg

Upvote 0
Re: New Colonial Era Homesite Produces 1828 Copper

First of all, great find. The LC is fabulous..and what a great old house!

I read this post with interest becuase I see that you are an Ace 250 user. I've had my two 250 for three years now and at first I thought it were terrific machines. I use one with the standard coil and one with the Sniper.

Last year I moved from Illinois to Vermont and since then, the machines don't seem to work as well. I'm not sure if it has something to do with mineral content in the soil or what, but I can't seem to get a decent reading..everything, no matter what it is, seems to ring up as a pulltab. This is on both of my machines. I've gone over the instruction manuals, and I don't think that I'm doing anything incorrectly. It's gotten me so frustrated that I didn't detect all summer long, and now that fall is here, I'm trying to drum up the enthusiasm I once had for MDing by reading other people's posts for inspiration. Has anyone else ever had an issue like this with the 250?

artemis moon said:
First of all, great find. The LC is fabulous..and what a great old house!

I read this post with interest becuase I see that you are an Ace 250 user. I've had my two 250 for three years now and at first I thought it were terrific machines. I use one with the standard coil and one with the Sniper.

Last year I moved from Illinois to Vermont and since then, the machines don't seem to work as well. I'm not sure if it has something to do with mineral content in the soil or what, but I can't seem to get a decent reading..everything, no matter what it is, seems to ring up as a pulltab. This is on both of my machines. I've gone over the instruction manuals, and I don't think that I'm doing anything incorrectly. It's gotten me so frustrated that I didn't detect all summer long, and now that fall is here, I'm trying to drum up the enthusiasm I once had for MDing by reading other people's posts for inspiration. Has anyone else ever had an issue like this with the 250?

No. Sorry I didn't reply sooner as I am always gone. Mine runs great. I used the large coil exclusively. Keep your batteries fully charged too. I change mine as soon as they start to fall one notch. I know it's kind of a waste but I buy lots of AA's. I don't know what to tell you. If you lived close I'd be glad to look at it for you

MeanGene said:
I own an ace as well.

Great finds.

What COIL ARE YOU RUNNING ON THE ACE? Im just curious. and how does it perform.

I am in the market for getting a sniper coil and also a larger one possibly...

thanks a bunch
GENE

Hey Gene. I use the 12 inch coil exclusively. I didn't like the stock, smaller one as I hunt a lot of turf. The 12 inch seems to do a better job for me.

Re: New Colonial Era Homesite Produces A Splendid 1828 Copper

That was a great find, congratulations

crazyjarhead said:
Hello everyone, Been on the road out west and just got back yesterday. I needed my R&R so you know what I had to do. :laughing7: I went to a new site that I had permission to hunt back in the spring but the grass had been too high. Well the farmer finally gave it a haircut and I was loving it when I drove up to it yesterday and say that it had been cut. It's still a little tall (5 inches) but not tall enough to give up a few keepers. One of them my oldest yet........1828 LC

There was an old colonial style home there until the early 70's. It was burnt down by the fire department in a training excercise. ??? I guess it was too old and no one wanted it anymore. I was told by the farmer who is 75 that the home across the road is similar to the one that was there. He also told me a story about 2 old ladies that lived there in it's final years. They were always next to the fireplace trying to keep warm in that old home by themselves. Too bad it had to end that way :-[

I headed up the lane that leads back to where the home stood. Having hunted there before a little I knew that the area where the home actually stood was littered with melted debris and junk. So I concentrated away from the yard and down the sloping hillside. Not 15 minutes in to the hunt I dug a LC. I thought first that it was a draped bust but maybe next time. I also dug a modern merc :laughing7: New compared to the 1828 LC I had just dug.

I included a picture of the house across the street and also a picture of 1 of 3 large white oaks on the property. I parked my detecting car beside the largest. It must be 3-4 hundred years old. I'll have to look good around these trees for coins from picnics of centuries ago. ::)

012-13.jpg

008-18.jpg

010-19.jpg

001-16.jpg

011-17.jpg

009-18.jpg

002-17.jpg

003-17.jpg

004-18.jpg

005-18.jpg

006-17.jpg

007-18.jpg

013-15.jpg

015-9.jpg

016-9.jpg

002-31.jpg

001-29.jpg

017-10.jpg

018-9.jpg

Rickiowa2009 said:
That was a great find, congratulations

crazyjarhead said:

012-13.jpg

008-18.jpg

010-19.jpg

001-16.jpg

011-17.jpg

009-18.jpg

002-17.jpg

003-17.jpg

004-18.jpg

005-18.jpg

006-17.jpg

007-18.jpg

013-15.jpg

015-9.jpg

016-9.jpg

002-31.jpg

001-29.jpg

017-10.jpg

018-9.jpg

Thanks Rickiowa

Great finds there that cent is in great shape congrats.

Nice large cent. It really cleaned up good.

All right CJH. Congrats on such a beautiful Coronet largie. I found one yesterday same year but it's pretty worn. I'll trade you. :laughing7: Keep up the good work. :hello2:
Chris

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
All right CJH. Congrats on such a beautiful Coronet largie. I found one yesterday same year but it's pretty worn. I'll trade you. :laughing7: Keep up the good work. :hello2:
Chris

OK I'll head over to Pa. today. Thanks Chris :tongue3:

Beautiful Coronet cent! Have you found anything else there since you first hit it?

KylePA said:
Beautiful Coronet cent! Have you found anything else there since you first hit it?

Nope. That and a merc. I want to hut it some more but the farmer needs to cut down the grass. Up on top where the house was is nothing but melted rubble. I guess they burnt it down as a training excercise. Even when he bush hogs the grass, I'd like to take a lawm mower up there and cut it down just a little more.. I went by there today and no luck. I think he might be cutting it one more time.....I hope. It's hard digging those weed roots. It's not like digging grass. Thanks Kyle...............Ron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back