New cornfield site was astounding!

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
Looked up a nearby 1860 house on the map and located the iron patch for it with no trouble. It didn't take long to hit the first largie, a solid 93 both ways on the Deus II. It was a well worn matron. The ones that are not so worn will hit 94 solid. It didn't take much longer to get the first IHP, a well worn 1871. This is my third 1871 and all three are slick G4s, dang it! I pulled a nice 1866 a little while later. I actually took the clump home that it was in and did a video of the extraction. When I have time, I will figure out how to get it off my phone an post it (Addendum - just search my name, Ron Goodger - on youtube). Before the day was out, I got four largies and four IHPs. Two IHps were 1865. The largies were all really tough to get date on, but I finally got them all. They were 1832, 1835, 1843 and 1856. This is the first time I ever got four largies in one day. I'm over the moon! But where is the silver? I've yet to get silver from a cornfield site, but it's only a matter of time, I figure.

My luck on tough IHP dates is still holding. 1871 is very tough, and 1866 is no picnic either. I'm inching ever closer to the 1877 and 1878. We see them get posted fairly regularly in spite of their rarity, so I know it can be done.

Stamp Field.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 25
Very good job guy... Congrats..! I see your in S.W. MI. I was born and raised in Constantine. Keep up the great hunts and I wish ya the best.

Great day of detecting for the coppers, congrats.

you know it's a untouched site when the coppers are plentiful.
Silver seems to be slim at homesteads generally I have found.
Got one site the ratio is Large coppers 30+to only 2 silvers.

What's with these 2 coppers? Lighting, or something going on with them?

Screen Shot 2024-05-26 at 7.26.26 AM.png

Wow, outstanding! I dream of a day like that.

Looked up a nearby 1860 house on the map and located the iron patch for it with no trouble. It didn't take long to hit the first largie, a solid 93 both ways on the Deus II. It was a well worn matron. The ones that are not so worn will hit 94 solid. It didn't take much longer to get the first IHP, a well worn 1871. This is my third 1871 and all three are slick G4s, dang it! I pulled a nice 1866 a little while later. I actually took the clump home that it was in and did a video of the extraction. When I have time, I will figure out how to get it off my phone an post it. Before the day was out, I got four largies and four IHPs. Two IHps were 1865. The largies were all really tough to get date on, but I finally got them all. They were 1832, 1835, 1843 and 1856. This is the first time I ever got four largies in one day. I'm over the moon! But where is the silver? I've yet to get silver from a cornfield site, but it's only a matter of time, I figure.

My luck on tough IHP dates is still holding. 1871 is very tough, and 1866 is no picnic either. I'm inching ever closer to the 1877 and 1878. We see them get posted fairly regularly in spite of their rarity, so I know it can be done.

View attachment 2151054
great haul, the IHPs came out of the ground in good shape, wtg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back