East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congratulations on your purchase. I got one about 3 weeks ago. I have been out 7 times now and I'm getting pretty use to it, even though I haven't yet found anything of real value. (About $8 in clad, 3 junk rings, 2 junk bracelets, toy cars, spoons and other typical junk beach items.) Right now I am primarily a beach hunter. Once I figured out how to build my own mode, I took all the gold and silver I have found over the years with other detectors and built a mode by rejecting everything and then accepted those signals as good targets. It was a cool and informative process. I have a gold ring that rang up as a 12-22 on the Fe-Co scale. However, as I moved the target away from the coil the Fe-Co numbers change. The further away the target, ie. the deeper the target, the more erratic the Fe-Co numbers are. When I was finished accepting the Fe-Co numbers of all my gold and silver treasures from close to the coil to just barely detectable, I had a mode that was almost exactly like the out of the box Minelab Beach Mode already in the detector. I did change the tones from 50 conductive to the Fe-Co combined tones (5 tones), but otherwise it is close enough to being the same that I just use the stock Beach mode. It has been a lot of fun trying to figure it out and optimize its performance. Overall I am pleased. Hope you enjoy. By the way, you can go onto the minelab web site and download the users manual and Exchange 2 program even before you get the detector. I had read the manual twice before mine arrived. Good luck with your new equipment. Papa

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Loren - Congrats on your new CTX - There may be some frustration at first on learning curve coming from the AT to the CTX but patience is the key word. I would highly recommend after you familiarize yourself to the basics of the machine that you look up Gonhunting on treasurenet and you can find access to his website. There you will find a program for downloading settings called the open combined mode - His name is Evan and I believe he knows more about these CTX's than Minelab - When I found these settings it made all the difference in the world for me - The open conbined settings are in my opinion and others I have talked to much better than any of the factory loaded modes. The accuracy of this machine to identify buried items is amazing. Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy your new toy. HH

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just pulled the trigger on a new Minelab CTX 3030 from Big Boy Hobbies. I got a fantastic deal. Thanks Bart! I comes tomorrow so I have been reading everything on it I can find. I can't wait to get out there and hunt.

Detector On!

Loren

Congrats! heck of a machine huh! It is much easier to use than you thought huh?

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THe CTX-3030 is my fantasy machine! I really like my GTI-2500, but the GPS capabilities, and the ability to upload custom search modes is awesome. Perhaps Minelab is ready to raffle/giveaway one to the Charter Members of TreasureNet?

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart sent me a new 3030 a few weeks ago (GREAT deal btw). First one in Wyoming maybe?

Anyway, after being out a dozenish times, I am starting to get the hang of what it is telling me. The capabilities of this machine are nothing short of AMAZING. It is a far far FAR step above a point and shoot machine when it comes to learning curve, but like I have said, it is not nearly as bad as a new cell phone.

Enjoy it, I know I am.

WM

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart sent me a new 3030 a few weeks ago (GREAT deal btw). First one in Wyoming maybe?

Anyway, after being out a dozenish times, I am starting to get the hang of what it is telling me. The capabilities of this machine are nothing short of AMAZING. It is a far far FAR step above a point and shoot machine when it comes to learning curve, but like I have said, it is not nearly as bad as a new cell phone.

Enjoy it, I know I am.

WM

Hey YM - pretty goof analogy bout the cell ph - LOL

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Enjoy it, I know I am.

WM

Glad you like! Post some of your finds here!

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, I'm gonna get one of those 3030's someday when I have the :coinbag: 8-) or find a payment plan for one. It has many features that are appealing. I have done so well with the Etrac that the CTX has got to be incredible! I'm starting to build a detector arsenal :laughing7: might even look for an Xterra too.
I just pulled the trigger on a new Minelab CTX 3030 from Big Boy Hobbies. I got a fantastic deal. Thanks Bart! I comes tomorrow so I have been reading everything on it I can find. I can't wait to get out there and hunt.

Detector On!

Loren

Herbieelectric

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2012
Just bought a ctx 3030 from Bart. Should get it Monday. Thanks for the great deal and second to none customer service. Will need to buy another battery and the trash sniper coil in the near future. Very excited cant wait!

CoinRanger

Greenie
Apr 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have recently purchased a 3030 from Bart. Tonight in 2 hours I had 29 coins in an area no larger than an average front yard. Its a very nice piece of equipment. And Bart is a very good seller. Don't hesitate to buy from Big Boys Hobbies. Bart will make you happy.
Roger - Michigan

Dflint

Tenderfoot
Jul 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also got my ctx from Bart and I'm in love with this machine I have always used minelabs and the last one I used was the e trac . The ctx is so much faster then the e trac that I have gone to places I have killed with the e trac and I'm still finding things! I found a gold class ring this year and also a nice walking liberty half dollar! I love this machine so much that I forget I can walk away from the machine with my head phones its great

Overvoltage

Apr 23, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett GTAx500, Infinium L/S, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just received my CTX3030 from Bart today also. Bart said it is an amazing machine. Now I know it is. I am completely impressed with it.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also have recently purchased a 3030 from Bart. Tonight in 2 hours I had 29 coins in an area no larger than an average front yard. Its a very nice piece of equipment. And Bart is a very good seller. Don't hesitate to buy from Big Boys Hobbies. Bart will make you happy.
Roger - Michigan

29 coins in 2 hours?? WOW! Must me a great spot! Keep at it!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just received my CTX3030 from Bart today also. Bart said it is an amazing machine. Now I know it is. I am completely impressed with it.

I wouldnt swing one if it wasn't! Every time I go out it learn something new I like about it! So stable at depth with great target ID. I wont even mention how cool target trace is! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread