New CZ-21 is it defective out of the box or is it me? UPDATE

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The new CZ-21 arrived last night and I took it out of the box to get it set up prior to going out to give it a spin. In my case, this one gives new meaning to a silent detector. At first when I turned it on and didn't hear anything, I figured I needed to install batteries and was surprised to see it loaded up with Energizers. Then the dummy at the controls did a battery test and finally heard noise, a steady high pitched buzz, that I assume means the batteries are ok. Next I placed the detector settings to the Factory Pre-Set for a "Turn on and go" to test out the detector. This supposedly puts it in a coins only mode and should then be able to do an air test. Well, I do not get any tones when passing coins over or under the coil. Switching to Auto Tune, I get a Threshold sound (used to a PI) at a setting of just under 9 with the volume turned anywhere from 5 to 10. Pressing the pinpoint will make this sound go on an off. With the sound audible while bobbing the coil just off of the floor, I do get a variation to the sound but nothing when running coins over or under the coil.

So in a nutshell, I am at a loss here not knowing if it is me or the detector. All of this has been done inside the house, could that be the problem? I have yet to hear any tones out of this detector no matter what I have it set on, just a threshold sound (in autotune) and a battery check sound. Plans to go to a fresh water beach later today are probably on the backburner now. I'm off to the store for 4 new batteries in case the ones in there are not any good.

Any advice from the experts out there? I really hope it is the batteries or me, I don't want to send this back, I'm starting 2 weeks of vacation and planned on having some fun with the CZ.

Cliff

UPDATE: Well, it got sent back and arrived after Thanksgiving. They checked it out and it didn't work..... like I had found out. New one is on its way and again, I can't wait to get it and give it a go. Hope it gets here before Friday so I can use it over the weekend since it will be in the 40's up here in Ohio.
Cliff

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New CZ-21 is it defective out of the box or is it me? Operator error????

I read this post a couple times to make sure I understood what was what. I am sorry about your new CZ21. Autotune is a setting. That is the disc knob also and a setting of 9 is to much disc. Since you now have new batteries for testing this cancels one possible problem. Set volume above 6. Disc at 0. If you don't get a sound on a coin on the ground with these settings you have a bad coil or connection with the coil cable.

Attachments

• CZ-21.png
    CZ-21.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 532

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

I don't know for sure ... But there are times a detector will not work right inside a house...........And to try to balance it in the house on the floor ...... I think there might be nails in the floor.......Let us know what happens after you put in new batterys...

OP
OP
cdv1

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:

Well, first off, thanks both of you for getting back with me. I just got done putting in the fresh batteries and there is no change using the settings that you recommended Sandman. I'm guessing that I got a lemon, no tones when set at volume above 6, Disc at 0 and Sensitivity and GB at recommended settings. I tried it outside with a quarter on the ground and then swung the detector past the BBQ grill, no tones. Then set to Autotune, pressed the pinpoint button, got a threshold sound and swung it over the quarter, no deviation in sound, swung it past the BBQ grill and again no change in sound, steady threshold sound. Battery check is sat and when you turn it off, you get a delayed tone which goes away like discharging of caps.

Guess its time to make some phone calls.

Cliff

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes it sounds like it has to go back to Fisher. I thought they had all these troubles fixed. :BangHead:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

That machine is defective. It truly is a silent search machine in any of the scrim settings, no background hum possible. In autotune, at high sense, you may get a hint of background, but its not really a threshold that you can adjust. In autotune, make sure your gb is close to avoid a response to black sand, hot rocks and such. Even in autotune, the machine is true silent search. Do not let the dud get you worried, get it fixed, it is a great machine and I know that you will post good finds with it.

OP
OP
cdv1

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:

gleaner1 said:
That machine is defective. It truly is a silent search machine in any of the scrim settings, no background hum possible. In autotune, at high sense, you may get a hint of background, but its not really a threshold that you can adjust. In autotune, make sure your gb is close to avoid a response to black sand, hot rocks and such. Even in autotune, the machine is true silent search. Do not let the dud get you worried, get it fixed, it is a great machine and I know that you will post good finds with it.

The sound it makes in autotune is only at 9-10 on the dial, that and battery check are the only sounds it ever makes. I have an RMA number to return it for another one. Only bad thing about that is, I start vacation Tuesday for a week and a half, I'll be hard pressed to get it back by then and even if I do, this nice weather surely won't last that long up here in Ohio. Oh well, there will be days I'll get it out to test when it gets here.

Thanks everyone for the help, it won't get me down on the CZ-21. Other than hitting the slot machine so I could purchase it, I've had a bad streak of luck lately.... just go with the flow..

Cliff

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Good luck with that. I did reread the post also a couple times, thinking maybe you had the pinpoint feature active but you did mention you hit it and it changed the audio response.

Hope you get it back right and make sure they can tell you they torqued those housing screws correctly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread