new detector, any recommendations please!

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was hobby with Bounty Hunter off the shelf long long long ago.

then I bought ATT Pro from Garrett, which is 'just ok to me' but got me thru alot of years and fun good finds.

being older now and swinging mostly black sand at beach, I do not require an 'underwater level of 10 ft' with my AT PRO cause I ain't going there LOL and being older now I had a shoulder/neck injury which makes this detector 'heavy' to swing for longer times, but bought a harness and I kinda don't enjoy that harness for help but if I must I must in the bitter end of course.

so what I want is BEST DAMN detector, lightweight, for beach only detecting I want to do and can cut that darn black sand down some in any way and just be simple and easy. Price on next detector is not a problem, but up to around 3-3,5K is tops about I kinda wanna spend at most, but I want to buy my LAST great detector to take me home ya know and use and enjoy and just 'suit me'.

did alot of research but would love anyone in my boat and what detectors they found to suit my situation now cause experience with them will always beat just online research I am doing.

thanks so much for any info you can shoot my way.

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I cannot speak about its performance in the black sand, but as a fellow shoulder injury sufferer, I can say that the Deus is the lightest, easiest machine I have ever used. I'm sure it does well on beach hunts; its an awesome machine in wooded area relic hunts.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANK YOU very much!

I will go off and research Deus right now and I super appreciate the info saying that with 'needing' light along with good performance thru your experiences, this is the info I was needing.

off to hunt and review the Deus! again, thanks a ton. I now have a direction to pursue with experience behind it to boot!

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so ran off and 'feel like the Deus 2 would be more ideal' in that at the 8:00 mark he chats about mineralized sand from like salt water etc. and my interest increased for sure on it. it seems the Deus 2 would be more ideal for the sand/beach experience. I gotta say I am quite interested now on it and I did not know of this detector, I was doing my research but haven't hit on this Deus SO THANKS again. got me very interested in Deus 2!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
so ran off and 'feel like the Deus 2 would be more ideal' in that at the 8:00 mark he chats about mineralized sand from like salt water etc. and my interest increased for sure on it. it seems the Deus 2 would be more ideal for the sand/beach experience. I gotta say I am quite interested now on it and I did not know of this detector, I was doing my research but haven't hit on this Deus SO THANKS again. got me very interested in Deus 2!

Probably a good choice in an all around great detector.
I have found personally that when the body comfort drops, it starts to really affect the detecting.
From swinging the Deus l for 5 yrs now it takes a good amount of swinging before the arms start to feel it.
As we age the common sense, and realization of our limitations, start to become reality.
10 hr hunt these days is a 2 day recovery of not being too ambitious.:laughing7:

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found personally that when the body comfort drops, it starts to really affect the detecting.
From swinging the Deus l for 5 yrs now it takes a good amount of swinging before the arms start to feel it.
As we age the common sense, and realization of our limitations, start to become reality.
10 hr hunt these days is a 2 day recovery of not being too ambitious.:laughing7:
I absolutely agree and it is wonderful to say that with the Deus 1 you can swing alot longer before feeling the weight effects. I need exactly this. I could swing my AT PRO forever til the neck/shoulder starts to become an issue and boom, it is happening quicker and my detecting is being very limited. It is taking all the fun out of it and even with that harness I bought is very annoying to use, just EH ya know.....so your experience gives me great hope. Thanks for the good post about how well you are doing and getting more enjoyment out of your detector. Yea age at some point gets us all for sure!! :)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I absolutely agree and it is wonderful to say that with the Deus 1 you can swing alot longer before feeling the weight effects. I need exactly this. I could swing my AT PRO forever til the neck/shoulder starts to become an issue and boom, it is happening quicker and my detecting is being very limited. It is taking all the fun out of it and even with that harness I bought is very annoying to use, just EH ya know.....so your experience gives me great hope. Thanks for the good post about how well you are doing and getting more enjoyment out of your detector. Yea age at some point gets us all for sure!! :)
I hear you on the harness issues and just being annoying. I just want to detect not put on gear for safety.

The weight difference is a pound less with the Deus ll. (1.93 lbs)
It might doesn't sound like a lot to many younger folks, but it's a world of difference when issues flare up and the lack of digging targets.
Ergonomics of the design has to factored into the picture as well. I have read that the Equinox 800 weighing in at 2.93 lbs is not balanced perfectly. Some have used a counter weight on the shaft/coil to correct this issue.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you on the harness issues and just being annoying. I just want to detect not put on gear for safety.

The weight difference is a pound less with the Deus ll. (1.93 lbs)
It might doesn't sound like a lot to many younger folks, but it's a world of difference when issues flare up and the lack of digging targets.
Ergonomics of the design has to factored into the picture as well. I have read that the Equinox 800 weighing in at 2.93 lbs is not balanced perfectly. Some have used a counter weight on the shaft/coil to correct this issue.
Thank you a bunch for this extra post! I was considering that Equinox 800 as an option as another detector recommended it to me but with the 'not balanced' perfectly comment it takes it off MY table to suit me :) This info is truly invaluable to me and I appreciate the chat about it to help me make that future buy. AND I SO agree about 'I was younger' not that darn long ago in my detecting but 'darn when it turns on ya' it turns on ya and we have to be in some 'whatever it takes' to enjoy this hobby. the harness was a nightmare of ICK to me cause even tho it did take the weight of my detector it was the biggest annoyance to not enjoy this fun anymore.......so thanks alot! This is a chat that has helped me for sure!

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I also suggest the 9” coil over the 11”. I use the 9” on all my Deus detectors. Best of luck!

mjb Mike

Feb 10, 2021
southern mayland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have all most all black sand here in southern maryland and use an equinox 600.Works very well wet or dry black sand.Do mainly beach hunting. never any problems

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deus 2 is a good machine . I use mine above water. I also know it can go under water . I have 2 deus's 2's both are 11 inch coils. One has never been used. I would sell the unused one

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@RustyGold why 9 over 11, just wondering on it all for you

@Gare I feel you on this but weight of the 600 is like 2.96 and weight on Deus 2 is 1.76 and the key to my post is lighter, best I can get is better so I am only going down in weight to swing vs. the other on performace. so it is lightest 'best' I can get the older and med issues I am dealing with but appreciate your info on it!!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
@RustyGold why 9 over 11, just wondering on it all for you

@Gare I feel you on this but weight of the 600 is like 2.96 and weight on Deus 2 is 1.76 and the key to my post is lighter, best I can get is better so I am only going down in weight to swing vs. the other on performace. so it is lightest 'best' I can get the older and med issues I am dealing with but appreciate your info on it!!
The 9” coils are lighter to swing and are just as capable as their 11” counterpart.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a 2 or order for quite some time. Someone else told me he could get me one quicker so i told him To get it. Both came a DAY APART 111 I haD TOLD THEM I dikd not care what size coil i just wanted one. they was both 11's

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 9” coils are lighter to swing and are just as capable as their 11” counterpart.
thank you cause I kinda didn't get a diff. that would 'mean' a ton to me but then when ya said it was ALL about it being lighter but doing the same job......yes I SO understand that part since weight now, every single ounce I can 'get off' me and my swing is now important. THANKS for you reply!!!

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea when ordering a new one, cause I want all warranty in tack and all for my 'maybe last detector?' lol, I will be sure to get a 9" coil cause why not.....a few ounces off me is a few ounces I ain't gotta deal with :)

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
yea when ordering a new one, cause I want all warranty in tack and all for my 'maybe last detector?' lol, I will be sure to get a 9" coil cause why not.....a few ounces off me is a few ounces I ain't gotta deal with :)
Don’t forget that the remote on the Deus II slides off the shaft for even greater weight savings.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did not mention a price range ? or does price not matter ?

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
price range was keeping it under around 3K or so.
someone said minelab one but it came in at 6K and thought, eh, I could but I don't wanna HAHA

so yea Deus is fine in price.

Thanks for telling me it 'slides' off easily. that is a great feature and sounds 'easy' to handle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread