New E-trac

Interesting----I drive thru Detroit Twice a Day from Home to Work and Back if that is where you are hunting .

Last edited:
Hey,
The key to the E Trac is the settings you are using. The less discrimination the better. Manual mode gets greater depth than Auto but beginners should try Auto +3 for a while until they get used to the machine. Most people detect with Deep 'on' but it has been noted that if you put deep 'off' and increase the volume gain to 30 you will get depth and allow your machine to work faster. I personally like 2 tone ferrous with smooth setting but again this is down to personal preference. I have had my E Trac for 3 months and already found five rings, money, old coins, bullets, musket balls and other interesting finds like an 18th century Russian seal. It will take time for you to fully understand the machine but believe me it is great a finding all sorts of stuff. You will become addicted to detecting. lol.

Congrats on the new E-Trac! I've had mine about 8 months now. Etracman is righ on the $ with the sensitivity. I hunt at 28 in manual (trashy ground permitting). I've dug silver dimes as deep as 12"! Best advice, read and understand the settings. Fully understand. Then play and find your own preferred settings. Heck even after hunting an area, I'll change the settings and find more!

Congrats on your new Etrac!!! I have had mine for almost 4 months now and have pulled alot of great stuff including 65 silver coins. Everytime I go out with it I learn something new. I usually hunt in manual 28-30 with a modified andy S pattern. You will get the hang of the machine in no time and never look back.

HH + GL
TMac

When you mention that you hunt in the 28-30 range what setting are you referencing?

For the most part I have been running my Etrac with a wide open screen in 2 tone ferrous. I have tried to move the sensitivity up to 27 and higher but I get such an erratic tone that I can't pick up anything. Am I missing something in the settings that will allow for more stability or do you have any tips through your time spent on the machine. Thanks!!

It seems there would be plenty of opportunity with all the old abandoned home sites in Detroit. But in some areas it might be prudent to have back up.

For the most part I have been running my Etrac with a wide open screen in 2 tone ferrous. I have tried to move the sensitivity up to 27 and higher but I get such an erratic tone that I can't pick up anything. Am I missing something in the settings that will allow for more stability or do you have any tips through your time spent on the machine. Thanks!!

In the four months I've had it I still haven't hunted in TTF yet for more then an hour or two. I use multi tones conductive with the Andy s pattern slightly modified (opened up the gold areas) and high sensitivity. Occasionally i will have to drop my sensitivity down if i have excessive chatter but 85% of the time im at manual 28 or higher and never go below 24. I just go at a reasonable rate and investigate all interesting tones..if its repeatable and sounds good i dig...allot of times lately i seek out deeper signals (5"+) and skip the shallow ones unless they're quarters..but usually I'll go back to spots and clear out the shallow ones eventually. I usually run deep on and recovery fast. Hope this helps a little..if anyone has tips for me they're appreciated. HH
TMac

Thanks for the input Tmac. I have been running TTF 2 tone for the most part after buying my Etrac in May and have good results but I haven't had too many signals that were excessively deep 7+ inches. I have the bad feeling (as we all do possibly) that I am leaving good targets behind. I will have to save this as a pattern and try to get used to it prior to the end of the year.

Thanks all,
We do a lot of hunting in the D, mostly in pretty rugged neighborhoods, found my first silver yesterday w/ the E-Trac, it was standing lib, 1929!!! Love it, I've been messing w/ it & figuring stuff out. Friday went after work, to the park where I found the SLQ , got $ 3.00 in quarters alone, pls other change, I've been hitting that park w/ my buddies since 1999, and it's been it hard for longer than that! I love that E-Trac!!!! HH everyone.

Something clicked with me and my etrac lately and that is listening to the tones more then the TID..i dug up my iffyist silver dime today and if i was still relying on tid i wouldn't of dug it. The id was super jumpy once hitting 44 conductivity and once hitting 45 with ferrous jumping from 01 to 30 but it had a brief high tone (and i mean brief) everytime i swung over it..turned out to be a 1952 Rosie...ended up with 3 rosies today, 73 silvers for the year and 26 in the last 17 days including my first barber yesterday.
Most of you probably already figured out that listening is more important then looking but i thought id share as after i read it from allot of the old timers it finally clicked.
Happy hunting.
TMac

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back