Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not so much Halo as it is just disturbed ground. Fresh buried isn't a good indicator of the machine's ability.
Leave that dime there for a few years and it will become detectable.

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Longhair knows what he is talking about....I put in a test garden today, put everything at 6" and the x-terra picked them all up and was right on as far as depth goes ..and the VDI numbers where all within what Randy Horton e-book on the x-terra said they would be....

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being a FBS machine, Minelabs air test horrible. Coins need to be in the ground at a minimum for 1 year before the multi frequency detectors can even be tested.

In your test it was in the ground but not allowed to get the halo effect going as was already mentioned.

Holler if you have questions.

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Although the E-Trac is a fantastic machine, you also have to be realistic about how deep it, or any other machine can go. I hunt primarily with an E-Trac and the deepest dime that I have ever dug was a Merc at 9 inches, which just barely sounded as I swept over it. And that was a true 9 inches because I measured with a tape measure before I pulled it out of the hole. I've watched literally thousands of YouTube metal detecting videos over the years and there is one thing that the viewer has to keep in mind when watching them...just because someone claims that they pulled out a dime at 12 inches, doesn't mean it was actually at twelve inches.

There are two areas where people make honest mistakes when determining what depth something was dug at. First, they dig their plug and then find the target in the dirt that was removed from the hole. Then they look at the depth of the hole and assume that the target was at the bottom, when in fact they dug a couple of inches past the target before scooping out the dirt. All of a sudden a 6 inch dime became an 8 inch dime.

Secondly, and perhaps the most common error, is that people can't accurately estimate depth. I've been hunting with folks who have claimed the found something at 6 inches, but when measured with a tape measure it was realistically 3 inches. It can be difficult to look down into a hole and be accurate when visually trying to estimate how deep it is.

I'm not saying that your E-Trac won't hit deep coins, because it will as you should soon find out. I'm just saying that you shouldn't get frustrated if you aren't pulling out 12 inch deep coins during all of your hunts.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another consideration on coin depth is the soil composition and humidity. Dry soil kills the depth. Mineralization kills depth. EMI kills depth. The max depth possible in one area won't be the same for another.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread