collectorchris

Greenie
Sep 8, 2015
Cleveland, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all, it has been quite a while since I last posted, however I have been lurking for a bit and reading about the Nox 800 and other detectors as I was ready to upgrade from my ATP to a higher end machine. After much deliberation, and thanks to Calabash (for all the videos and comparisons), it came down to the Deus and Equinox 800. So I bought the 800 last week and after a week of hunting it from UPS after they delivered it to the wrong address, I finally got it this Thursday. I charged it, geared it up with a nice screen protector and better armpad/strap and headed into the woods today. It is going to be a bit of a challenge getting used to the settings and function differences, but on my first hunt today, I hit an area I have pounded repeatedly and pulled several relics from (most likely a small picket post). So about 1'-2' from where I found a GS coat button I pulled its little brother with the Nox, a nice cuff button. Not bad for the first hunt with this machine.

I do have a few questions for some experienced Nox 800 users if you could oblige me.

1. I primarily hunt in the woods, and noticed every twig, vine, etc I bumped as I swing would give me a false tone. Any suggestions?

2. I primarily hunt CW relics. Today I hunted in Field 2, 18-20 sensitivity, GB as soil conditions changed (hot rocks/coke), EMI scanned, recovery around 6 and adjusted my tone volumes for what I wanted to hear. I am in Southeast TN, near Chattanooga and ground can vary significantly. I do love to hit silver and gold, but not primarily what I look for. Any setting recommendations or ideas of settings to play with? What is the main difference in field one and two? (I just printed the OM and started ready, so that answer may be there). I was still getting many square nails hitting 8/9 (I still have to learn this new VDI and depth effects)

3. I like to hunt a lot on weekends and would love to meet up with some folks interested in the same stuff or get on a hunting lease in SE TN/N Georgia/NE AL/W. SC. I am close to all these areas! The gentleman who taught me to hunt is not able to do as much now so looking for more MD friends.

So far, I think I am going to love this machine, I just hope it is really an upgrade over the ATP in the long run, but all indications say yes so far!

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where were you when I was looking for a buddy in the area? [emoji1] I lived in Bridgeport, AL for 11 years and could never find anyone to hunt with. Now that I'm gone there are several that I've seen post from that area.

OP
OP
C

collectorchris

Greenie
Sep 8, 2015
Cleveland, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've never hunted in Bridgeport, I have done a bit around Shell Mound and Tullahoma. Shame your not there anymore, great areas over that way from what I hear.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never hunted in Bridgeport, I have done a bit around Shell Mound and Tullahoma. Shame your not there anymore, great areas over that way from what I hear.
That's what I heard but could never get on any of it. There was a battle of Bridgeport and I found a few small hills on the property owned by the company I worked for. I tried hitting them a time or two but there was also a basket weaving factory there. It is now a pile of bricks in thick woods. The spur track that served it was built with a lot of slag that drives a detector crazy. The open fields have been used for bird hunting for a lot of years. The headstamps drive you crazy. I finally gave up. If I'd have had someone to hunt with I would have kept trying. I had the run of the property.

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
I’m not familiar with your soil types but I think you might like field 1 a little better with it’s slightly slower recovery speed. It will allow a little more depth and I’d add a little iron bias 2/3 to quiet down the falses and square nails. Lastly if your soil conditions change quite often turn on tracking and let the machine adjust for those changes. Nox is a beast and it never stops surprising me. Happy Hunting!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you get tired of digging square nails try Park1 in the woods. I seem to have less falsing on iron when hunting Park1.
It takes a while to train your ears to the tones you are searching for. If you are using the Horseshoe, you will get all kinds of tones all the time at old sites.
Good luck!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m not familiar with your soil types but I think you might like field 1 a little better with it’s slightly slower recovery speed. It will allow a little more depth and I’d add a little iron bias 2/3 to quiet down the falses and square nails. Lastly if your soil conditions change quite often turn on tracking and let the machine adjust for those changes. Nox is a beast and it never stops surprising me. Happy Hunting!

That's what I use in those types of Field conditions, but, I use Field 2. I lower the recover speed if the ground mineralization will let you, and if it's not too junky, and set the Iron Bias to 3. Field 2 seems to handle coke and other iron targets a bit better than Field 1 IMO. Give them both a try and see what works best! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread