Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. (warning: long post. sorry in advance, I had a lot to say).
Inspired (again) by our fellow member Scolino's amazing recent finds (example: https://www.treasurenet.com/threads...reales-and-coppers.663069/page-2#post-6839677), I decided it was time to do some research on new locations and some door-knocking (two things that Scolino is a master at) in my area of northern New Jersey. I identified about a half-dozen locations and started driving; from the car I could eliminate 3 of them, but the other 3 were worth asking for permission. Site 1: "no, we already allow 2 other people to detect here." Site 2: "no, this isn't something we'd be interested in."
But site 3 was, "yes, I guess you could detect here." The owner was awesome and fun to talk with. He even guided me to where the original homesite was located (unfortunately it's located in what is now a cow pasture on a bit of a hillside with somewhat long grass, so - not the ideal digging conditions.)

I didn't detect on the day he granted permission, but I came back early the next morning (in the dark, with frost on the ground, wearing orange because he warned me there were hunters that had access to his land) and I detected for about 2 hours. It took the first hour to just get oriented; any time I'm on a new site - especially one like this, which has a ton of old iron - I find that I've got to walk around and just listen to the ground. I kind of form a mental picture of what I think the area used to be like using whatever I see (in this case: some flat areas and a few exposed rocks on a hillside) and what I hear.
I used the Equinox for the first hour, hoping that a solid mid-20's VDI would just pop out of the ground and produce a large copper (or maybe even a 30's VDI and a Real like Scolino's...), but that wasn't the case. As I've found with the Equinox in old homesite locations, I had trouble separating the iron from good signals. I dug a lot of square nails that sounded good on the Nox. I finally did get one button with the Nox (solid, separated VDI in the 16-18 range), but I decided to switch to the Deus.

And I'm glad I did. I walked some of the same areas with the Deus that I had originally covered with the Nox and it didn't take me long to find a large copper. She's toasty but after some careful restoration at home she's clearly a Draped Bust Large Cent and I think there's enough metal left in the date area to guess that she's 1803 (one of the highest mintage years).
This experience reinforced my belief that the Deus is just better than the Nox in iron-infested homesites.
I also found another button with the Deus, but I also had to wrap up and head home for my day job. Both buttons are early 1800's timeframe, which fit with the coin and give me excitement that there's a lot more 200-year old goodies in that ground.
I think I've started to narrow down the area of more human activity (which unfortunately is under the most cow poop), so I can't wait to go back this weekend!

- Brian

IMG_0429.jpg
IMG_0431.JPG
IMG_0428.JPG
IMG_0435.jpg
IMG_0436.jpg
IMG_0424.jpg

Upvote 21

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds. im from north west hunterdon county. i still have yet to work up the courage to start door knocking. i always feel like i would be bothering them

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your beautiful recoveries

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
new ground is always exciting. Congratulations on some awesome finds.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a really nice site- great finds and good luck going forward!

Nov 25, 2018
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. (warning: long post. sorry in advance, I had a lot to say).
Inspired (again) by our fellow member Scolino's amazing recent finds (example: https://www.treasurenet.com/threads...reales-and-coppers.663069/page-2#post-6839677), I decided it was time to do some research on new locations and some door-knocking (two things that Scolino is a master at) in my area of northern New Jersey. I identified about a half-dozen locations and started driving; from the car I could eliminate 3 of them, but the other 3 were worth asking for permission. Site 1: "no, we already allow 2 other people to detect here." Site 2: "no, this isn't something we'd be interested in."
But site 3 was, "yes, I guess you could detect here." The owner was awesome and fun to talk with. He even guided me to where the original homesite was located (unfortunately it's located in what is now a cow pasture on a bit of a hillside with somewhat long grass, so - not the ideal digging conditions.)

I didn't detect on the day he granted permission, but I came back early the next morning (in the dark, with frost on the ground, wearing orange because he warned me there were hunters that had access to his land) and I detected for about 2 hours. It took the first hour to just get oriented; any time I'm on a new site - especially one like this, which has a ton of old iron - I find that I've got to walk around and just listen to the ground. I kind of form a mental picture of what I think the area used to be like using whatever I see (in this case: some flat areas and a few exposed rocks on a hillside) and what I hear.
I used the Equinox for the first hour, hoping that a solid mid-20's VDI would just pop out of the ground and produce a large copper (or maybe even a 30's VDI and a Real like Scolino's...), but that wasn't the case. As I've found with the Equinox in old homesite locations, I had trouble separating the iron from good signals. I dug a lot of square nails that sounded good on the Nox. I finally did get one button with the Nox (solid, separated VDI in the 16-18 range), but I decided to switch to the Deus.

And I'm glad I did. I walked some of the same areas with the Deus that I had originally covered with the Nox and it didn't take me long to find a large copper. She's toasty but after some careful restoration at home she's clearly a Draped Bust Large Cent and I think there's enough metal left in the date area to guess that she's 1803 (one of the highest mintage years).
This experience reinforced my belief that the Deus is just better than the Nox in iron-infested homesites.
I also found another button with the Deus, but I also had to wrap up and head home for my day job. Both buttons are early 1800's timeframe, which fit with the coin and give me excitement that there's a lot more 200-year old goodies in that ground.
I think I've started to narrow down the area of more human activity (which unfortunately is under the most cow poop), so I can't wait to go back this weekend!

- Brian

View attachment 1990412 View attachment 1990413 View attachment 1990414 View attachment 1990415 View attachment 1990416 View attachment 1990417
Glad I was able to motivate and inspire you. Your efforts will definitely pay off. Keep it up!

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way to go Brian, nice recoveries:hello2:
Looks like a beautiful old farm.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, you never have to apologize for a long post. Most people appreciate posters taking the time to tell the back stories and share the details.

Second, great finds! Thank you for sharing them with the community. Good luck in your future hunts!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread