May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru'Dad had other things to do, so dropped me off & picked me up after 5 hours in warm weather :icon_sunny: This is a field that Dad had scouted for about 15 minutes & thought it had potential. Today I proved it's worth gridding with some early good finds:

2 Jettons
Rose Farthing
1757 Geo II Sixpence :) This period is 100 times harder to find than hammered. :thumbsup:
17th C Coin weight
Part of a 16th C sword belt hanger + hook
Tudor Book Clasp
1902 Commemorative Token
My first James I 1605-06 Irish Sixpence - A rare find & only 1 year before they stopped minting Irish Silver :headbang:
A stunning yellow enamelled 17th Century Horse Harness Mount :blob7: Never seen one as nice :wink:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 745
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 749
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 743
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 748
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 740
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 738
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 741
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 743
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 736
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 724
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 718
Upvote 1
Really nice finds!
I like the horse harness mount.

Howdy Crusader, from across the pond.

From the fields first offerings it looks like a good one. How did you go about deciding where to start? I'm assuming this is a large field, possibly a farmers field but regardless of its size you were able to find a broad assortment of items and plenty of them so I'm a bit stunned by your luck or your choice so I'm curious how you decided to start where you did. Then again I should ask did you walk all over the field and find items from time to time?? Questions Questions but an awesome start!

Regards............63bkpkr

63bkpkr said:
Howdy Crusader, from across the pond.

From the fields first offerings it looks like a good one. How did you go about deciding where to start? I'm assuming this is a large field, possibly a farmers field but regardless of its size you were able to find a broad assortment of items and plenty of them so I'm a bit stunned by your luck or your choice so I'm curious how you decided to start where you did. Then again I should ask did you walk all over the field and find items from time to time?? Questions Questions but an awesome start!

Regards............63bkpkr

I do what I offen do when trying to work out where to start on a large ploughed field, that shows no good crop marks on the aerials;
Wide zig-zags around all 4 edges. After this, I then knew which edge I was going to start gridding systematically (full lengths). After finishing my last full length & just before Dad arrived I decided to do another quick wander (as I didn't have enough time for another full length there & back), & lucked in on the hammered :laughing7: (the mount was found whilst zig-zagging the far edge)
The end of the field did show some signs of ploughed out ridge and furrow & its the end that Dad & I thought would be good & so far it is the better end.

Not a bad start! The sixpence is in good condition :icon_thumleft: The harness mount is nice too. I am always impressed of the amount of buttons in every field You detect....

Westfront said:
Not a bad start! I am always impressed of the amount of buttons in every field You detect....

Nearly every field, but it is a sure sign that it has had limited night hawk pressure. :thumbsup:

CRUSADER said:
Nearly every field, but it is a sure sign that it has had limited night hawk pressure. :thumbsup:

Same here with the amount of driving band fragments from artillery shells. I guess these are a better indicator than buttons here because the frags are uniformly in EVERY field. If these are missing You ran into probs.... Do You go out in this field tomorrow again?

Good start is right! :headbang: Nice hunt, love those old silvers. :thumbsup:

Very, very nice!
Is the yellow on the harness mount enameling?
Carl

Man! the ages of the relics, that you folks go over there find just blow me awAY !! Way to

Westfront said:
CRUSADER said:

Same here with the amount of driving band fragments from artillery shells. I guess these are a better indicator than buttons here because the frags are uniformly in EVERY field. If these are missing You ran into probs.... Do You go out in this field tomorrow again?

Yes, getting ready now :thumbsup: I will grid on from where I left off.

CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Very, very nice!
Is the yellow on the harness mount enameling?
Carl
Yes, & it's pretty rare to have 350-400 year old enamel survive so well in a ploughed field. I made an educated guess that its 17th C as I have found similar dated enamelled buttons made with the same technique. I spent some time looking for a match & I could only find something similar but it does confirm the date I had in mind (plus function):
http://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/285921
http://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/111646

As I find lots of harness mounts (& seen a ton more), & none of them had enamelling which is a workmanship a notch above the norm. Bearing in mind they had to refire the original cast piece with crusted glass/colouring on a domed surface, very hard to fill all the gaps so perfectly, a real skill. I think it's safe to say that these mounts were reserved for the high status individuals who could afford to 'dress' their horse in the fanciest of gear. Not your average work horse. :blob7:

A great start :o I love that mount :icon_thumleft:

Hope the cars fixed for the weekend :-\

shaun7 said:
A great start :o I love that mount :icon_thumleft:

Hope the cars fixed for the weekend :-\

fingers crossed, done about 25% after today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back