What's new

New Found Bottle In AZ

Joined
Jun 19, 2011
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hi New to the Forum! Can anyone give me info on this. Found in Northern AZ
Purple in Color and Say's Bishop and Company on the bottom
 

Attachments

  • 016.webp
    016.webp
    60.9 KB · Views: 374
  • 017.webp
    017.webp
    76.6 KB · Views: 361
Cool find!!!!

Bishop's Bishop & Co., San Diego and Los Angeles, CA, 1890-1920

Got a size on it?


Beth
 
the bottle was probly clear at one time but the sun colored it purple.. some clear glass will change purple if exposed to sunlight for long periods of time..
 
billyazprospector said:
Any Ideas as to what it was used for and value>?
It's a food jar, pickles probably.

Value? Not much, unless you find someone who really, really needs that jar to complete a Bishop collection. A dollar or two at the flea market.
 
I'm not real sure that a 5 x 3 bottle would be used for pickles - especially considering the age. Its kind of small for that.

However, I cannot find anything on that sized bottle - even in my Kovel's book. So.......................I don't know.

Beth
 
mrs.oroblanco said:
I'm not real sure that a 5 x 3 bottle would be used for pickles - especially considering the age. Its kind of small for that.

However, I cannot find anything on that sized bottle - even in my Kovel's book. So.......................I don't know.
Beth
When I say "pickles," Beth, I am referring to a range of pickled garnishes and relishes . . . from banana peppers to sweet pickle relish to giardiniera.

From Wikipedia: (Italian giardiniera is also called "sotto aceti", which means "under vinegar", a common term for pickled foods. It is typically eaten as an antipasto or with salads.

In the United States, giardiniera is commonly available in traditional or spicy varieties, the latter which is sometimes referred to as "Hot Mix.")


This is the sort of foodstuff that Bishop & Company produced (along with many other things).

 
Harry,

No issue for me, here - I just don't know. I found a couple that were larger in my Kovel's book, (pickle, but not the same shape) but not that size, that's all. That's why I was thinking apothecary-type - though, I didn't find one of those either.

It's a neat bottle.

I hope someone can find an exact match.

Beth
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom