New guy too in Va Beach

OP
OP
C

CAPTBEACH

Sep 30, 2010
I am in a very old section of the country...my property dates back to the "witch ducking" days when Va Beach had its own version of the Salem Witch Trials only instead of burning them we drown them...sad but true...

I found a nearly new Garrett Master Hunter BFO in the attic of the home I bought...it has probably every coil available at the time...new batteries got her humming again but I haven't a clue as where to start...what tools do I need? Is this junk or a treasure...hey it was free...

Not kidding when I said nearly new...several of the coils were still in the box...so how do I get started?

Attachments

• DSCF0013resized.jpg
    DSCF0013resized.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 179

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hook 1 up and go for it then hook up the other ones and see what you missed!!!! Free is a great price Happy Hunting chug!!!!!

OP
OP
C

CAPTBEACH

Sep 30, 2010
Chug and Red said:
Hook 1 up and go for it then hook up the other ones and see what you missed!!!! Free is a great price Happy Hunting chug!!!!!

Any idea what the different size coils do? Depth? Different metals? One looks like a hockey puck and one like a small solid "D"

Beach

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
It seems to have the manual with it...read it! :tongue3:

No idea on these older models sorry.To me i'd Ebay it,as it's complete and "good as new" and collectors may want it all...and then buy a more upto date one with the proceeds! :headbang:

There's a few around VA beach on here,mainly on the beaches though.Checkout the beach forum. :wink:

OP
OP
C

CAPTBEACH

Sep 30, 2010
Dano Sverige said:
It seems to have the manual with it...read it! :tongue3:

No idea on these older models sorry.To me i'd Ebay it,as it's complete and "good as new" and collectors may want it all...and then buy a more upto date one with the proceeds! :headbang:

There's a few around VA beach on here,mainly on the beaches though.Checkout the beach forum. :wink:

Stayed up til 2AM EST reading the manual...I've got the gist of it...going out today to bust my MD cherry...I've looked around...I may just keep this one and get an ACE 250 or 350 if the 350 is a better upgrade...

Any old timers here ever used one of these?

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some humongous coils !!! I think that largest one should get you to the earth's core :laughing9:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I still have a Garrett Master Hunter BFO with all the coils. The side knobs
are awkward at first and these machines have to be constantly adjusted in
sunlight. Save it for cloudy days. Some old timers made great finds with
these detectors. It has a mineral mode for locating black sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread