What's new

New “Hands Free” Sifter Build

BCSMark

Full Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2025
Messages
120
Reaction score
469
Golden Thread
0
Location
Brazos county, Texas
last night I stayed up a little later so I could build this new sifter before going to dig today. I have about 5hrs in it. It was mostly built from salvaged material, only other than the compression springs, the vibrating motor and the wood for the screen boxes. The total cost was right about $100.
the motor is an industrial vibrating motor like what could be used for concrete work. I got the 100W off amazon which seemed like the largest available. The top screen is 1/2” and the screen below it is 1/4”. The upper screen has angle iron on each corner to reinforce the corner while also extending below the sifter, and running between two of the pieces of angle is a flat bar to support the smaller screen beneath it. Two of these pieces of angle on one end of the screen also have a slot cut out so that the smaller screen can be removed from under the sifter to be dumped and observed. In each corner I welded a small round bar “stud” that drops down into the circumference of the spring. The sifter is then just simply sitting on top of four compression springs. This allows the screen to vibrate and articulate. It also allows the sifter to come apart from the stand. Beneath the screen I have a plywood “ramp” that is meant to direct the screened dirt out from under the sifter. This could benefit from having a smaller vibrating motor attached to it so the dirt doesn’t pile up under it as quickly.
overall I’m pretty happy with it. I have found you can’t overload it with dirt, or else it will cause it to not vibrate enough to efficiently sift the dirt. I found though if you are just shoveling dirt into the sifter that it keeps up pretty well, compared to dumping buckets into it.
I didn’t mean for this to be a tutorial on how to build it, but wanted to give a brief overview. If there seems like there’s interest over it I can take more pictures or answer any questions you may have.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1972.webp
    IMG_1972.webp
    3.6 MB · Views: 474
  • IMG_1971.webp
    IMG_1971.webp
    3.1 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1970.webp
    IMG_1970.webp
    3.6 MB · Views: 133
Upvote 0
Half the fun in this business is designing and making your own equipment. Well done! :occasion14:
 
That’s an interesting design. You obviously have to use it at home near an electric source. Hopefully it will work!
Small generator will run that no problem.
 
last night I stayed up a little later so I could build this new sifter before going to dig today. I have about 5hrs in it. It was mostly built from salvaged material, only other than the compression springs, the vibrating motor and the wood for the screen boxes. The total cost was right about $100.
the motor is an industrial vibrating motor like what could be used for concrete work. I got the 100W off amazon which seemed like the largest available. The top screen is 1/2” and the screen below it is 1/4”. The upper screen has angle iron on each corner to reinforce the corner while also extending below the sifter, and running between two of the pieces of angle is a flat bar to support the smaller screen beneath it. Two of these pieces of angle on one end of the screen also have a slot cut out so that the smaller screen can be removed from under the sifter to be dumped and observed. In each corner I welded a small round bar “stud” that drops down into the circumference of the spring. The sifter is then just simply sitting on top of four compression springs. This allows the screen to vibrate and articulate. It also allows the sifter to come apart from the stand. Beneath the screen I have a plywood “ramp” that is meant to direct the screened dirt out from under the sifter. This could benefit from having a smaller vibrating motor attached to it so the dirt doesn’t pile up under it as quickly.
overall I’m pretty happy with it. I have found you can’t overload it with dirt, or else it will cause it to not vibrate enough to efficiently sift the dirt. I found though if you are just shoveling dirt into the sifter that it keeps up pretty well, compared to dumping buckets into it.
I didn’t mean for this to be a tutorial on how to build it, but wanted to give a brief overview. If there seems like there’s interest over it I can take more pictures or answer any questions you may have.
How do you remove debris from the top section?
 
Yeah, where I ran it yesterday was no where near electricity. I ran it off a small generator. This time of year in Texas is nice to have one anyways to run a fan as well.

I was using a small plastic dustpan to scoop the rocks out. Worked well.
Well done 👏

You have me thinking about how to build one.
 
Interesting.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom