new here

coinlover

Oct 21, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
:)hi everyone! i have been ghosting around this site awile. i love to read about all the neat stuff you guys find. i have not been roll searching yet. i will though. i told my mom about crh a few days ago and she thinks it is really a good idea. she said next time we go into town and the banks are open, we will pick up some coins. i probaly want to start with cents because they are cheap, and i enjoy finding wheats in change. i got a 1944 wheatie in change just last saturday! i have also gotton a 1952D nickel in change about a year ago. i have also found some old money. i have found a 1981A $1 bill and a 1995 old style $5 bill. also i have many star notes. i hope to really soon start up this coll and interesting hobby. i like to metal detect, but have not found much. hopefully with coin roll hunting, i will find more without getting dirty! ;)

Upvote 0

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
Welcome,

You will find some good stuff! You might want to pick up a whitman folder for your pennies. I have found quite a few before 1930, but still have a ways to go to fill it. A couple coins might not be possible. I have found exactly one indian head penny in about 6 months of roll searching. Get your self a magnifying glass, its fun to check for errors. You might want to try some nickels as well, keeping your eyes open for buffalos, liberties and silver war nickels. ALthough you might not have $500 for a box of halves, try to get the ones from the tellers trays, once you find silver, your hooked for good!

Good Luck!

Searcher

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Welcome coinlover! :) Sounds like you're off to a good start. There's lots to look for in them cents, besides just wheaties. If you get the chance, pick up a copy of the Cherrypickers guide, Volume 1. It has cent errors to look for in it.

OP
OP
coinlover

coinlover

Oct 21, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
i do have a 1909-1940 and 1941-1975 whitman folder. it is the blue ones that are like 75 cents each. should i stick with the blue ones or get the $20 ones with the plastic slip?

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
personally I use the cheap blue ones as well. I like them. If I found a 1909 vdb (S or not), a 1914D or a 1955 DDO, I would probably put it in a 2x2 or something a little better. I would also be careful not to get finger prints on them, at least new ones! ;)

OP
OP
coinlover

coinlover

Oct 21, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
i have a very worn 1909 cent in it. i guess its not too bad for it. thanks everyone for the warm welcome! :) i can't wait to learn more!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinlover said:
i will find more without getting dirty! ;)
Oh, you do get your fingers dirty going through all those coins but not your knees. ;D

Good luck, it is a fun hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread