New M6 on the way.. I wanted a mxt pro but...

OP
OP
norbyx

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
They each have their pro and cons and I am sure that the MXT Pro has it's applications and is at least versatile.

I have talked to more than one person has told me that the 950 will out perform the 950 consistently on the beach. The 12" is also highly effective as it covers more ground, yet you will have reduce the sensitivity about 20-30% in wet sand for optimal performance.

The 950 will outperform the 950??? Doesn't make much sense...

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he might have been wanting to say the D2, what I hear most people say is the concentric coils do best on the beach. It might be different if its a fresh water beach though. HH

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
The 950 will outperform the 950??? Doesn't make much sense...

You are correct. My error. The 950 will outperform the D2 DD in wet sand. Whites his some of the coolest most accessible employees around. Whenever I call them, I call headquarters in Sweet Home Oregon. If you're lucky, you'll get someone in factory that actually builds them. I have been told by engineers, reps, salespeople and even an executive at Whites that the 950 is the best coil that I could be using( for regular all purpose machines ) on the beach.

I also asked about the 12" 300 that cam with my MXT Pro, that it would obviously cover lots of ground, but I was also told that how sensitive it is, I should set the sensitivity at 60-70% and USE THE THRESHOLD control to get a nice quiet smooth hum. This will indicate that the threshold and sensitivity are in sync and that I'm not losing more than an inch or so. I also won't spend the whole day chasing ghost signals ....... when you get a solid beep at 65% senzitivity , you know you've got something!

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

OP
OP
norbyx

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well that is good to know, I have never tested the 950 on wet sand but Sunday I am going to the beach so will have a chance to make some hunting... Wish me luck...

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
I have an MXT PRO and like the M6 better !!!!!! go figure - they did something really special when they deigned that machine......

I have both the M6 and the MX5, of the two, I prefer the M6. They are both good machines and the MX5 has a lot going for it, it is a deep and sensitive machine. I can't really give you a reason, other than, I just have more confidence in the M6.

Maybe it is the metal box and knobs of the M6, it just feels like a Whites machine should feel.

Not a lot of help I know....Sorry....lol

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
The MXT was a "Johnson/Jimmy" project. It was a gold machine the response characteristics of which were designed around a 10 inch elliptical DD. I always hated the 950 and don't know if Jimmy ever even plugged one in. Regarding the M5/6, I wasn't involved in those but nobody disputes that they haven't successfully challenged the MXT.

DD searchcoils have "certain advantages" in iron mineralization, but when it comes to salt water beaches that advantage vanishes.

Deep beeps on relatively dry beach, a larger concentric is probably a good compromise. Digging sand is easy.

--Dave J.

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one major thing that stands out for the MX5 is it's light weight construction. I do a lot of woods hunting and a light detector would be really handy in the woods, I doubt I'll buy one because I already have the V3i and MXT and other older Whites machines. I would like to add that when the D2 coil first came on the market I bought one (that was before the Vision even came out which was the original name of the V3 after Whites had to change the name due to patent rights) and the MXT/D2 combination is unreal for getting maximum depth. At the time I was using the 12" concentric and that coil hasn't been on a detector since. Now my MXT is just a backup detector to my V3i.

OP
OP
norbyx

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Back when I had the v3i and the mxt.... The v3i was my backup .... Jajaja funny how I had to sell the mxt to force myself to use the v3i, just to buy an mxt just about two years later ( obviously after selling my v3i).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread