devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on the new AT MAX. Read the manual over and over and watch Utu be videos on the Max. Best of Luck to you.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iwill give you my custom settings these work really well for me. When I first got my Max there was a lot of chatter in Pro Zero mode, I did not like Audio, and the same tones for low, high and mid tones, and especially having to watch the VDI numbers. Of course, keep all this in mind I had grown very use to my AT-Pro I could tell exactly from the different tones that what the coil was over was a quarter, dime, penny etc.

Discrimination 30
Notch out the following VDI 40, 55, 60 & 65
Sensitivity 2-3 bars back from full.
Set volume on max on the detector, adjust volume using headphones.
I do not use the threshold setting I keep my setting set on zero.

With the above numbers notched out I still pick up gold rings and etc. that are in the low tone area.

Again, this is what works for me, best advice I can give you are anyone using the Max read the manual front to back and back to front. Watch instruction videos, and do what you did here get advice from other users.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting. One other thing I suggest getting the Nel Sharpshooter 9.5 x 5.5 or the Garrett 5 x 8 coil, using either one of these coils you will never go back to the stock. My prefrence is the Nel I think it's much better coil.

Hal

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iwill give you my custom settings these work really well for me. When I first got my Max there was a lot of chatter in Pro Zero mode, I did not like Audio, and the same tones for low, high and mid tones, and especially having to watch the VDI numbers. Of course, keep all this in mind I had grown very use to my AT-Pro I could tell exactly from the different tones that what the coil was over was a quarter, dime, penny etc.

Discrimination 30
Notch out the following VDI 40, 55, 60 & 65
Sensitivity 2-3 bars back from full.
Set volume on max on the detector, adjust volume using headphones.
I do not use the threshold setting I keep my setting set on zero.

With the above numbers notched out I still pick up gold rings and etc. that are in the low tone area.

Again, this is what works for me, best advice I can give you are anyone using the Max read the manual front to back and back to front. Watch instruction videos, and do what you did here get advice from other users.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting. One other thing I suggest getting the Nel Sharpshooter 9.5 x 5.5 or the Garrett 5 x 8 coil, using either one of these coils you will never go back to the stock. My prefrence is the Nel I think it's much better coil.

Hal

Great advice and I’ll try your settings. Why do you set you sensitivity down?

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great advice and I’ll try your settings. Why do you set you sensitivity down?

Helps keep the chatter down, and also when I hunt around ball parks I like to get close to bleachers having the sensitivity down helps when I get close to the metal in the stands. I also will crank all way up at times so far, I have not found that decreasing two to three notches cuts down on the depth, the max just seems to be really good on depth. The other thing (it may make no senses) but it’s kind of like have a car with 700 horsepower and you go down to corner market with the pedal to floor every time, it’s nice to know that you can if you want.

OP
OP
Greenejn

Greenejn

Greenie
Dec 12, 2017
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input Hal,

I'll set up my custom settings with your suggestions and give it a shot. I'm currently reading the manual for the second time now LOL

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Helps keep the chatter down, and also when I hunt around ball parks I like to get close to bleachers having the sensitivity down helps when I get close to the metal in the stands. I also will crank all way up at times so far, I have not found that decreasing two to three notches cuts down on the depth, the max just seems to be really good on depth. The other thing (it may make no senses) but it’s kind of like have a car with 700 horsepower and you go down to corner market with the pedal to floor every time, it’s nice to know that you can if you want.

Makes total sense Hal. Thanks for the tip

lucky92

Nov 30, 2017
Jefferson City missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites classic sl, Garrett 350, mx sport, equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks hal ill give it a shot id like to keep the chatter down

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run pro zero with descim on 31. Sensitivity 3 down from top to start and adjust as necessary. Works very well for the AT MAX.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run in custom mode, 35-40 on discrim .
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard VADirtfisher! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - people may have more success helping you (if necessary)...

Indiana-FH

Oct 7, 2008
Newburgh, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max - BH 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your AT Max, it is a great machine. It is very sensitive and takes some setting use to Hal2k gave some excellent advise. The more you swing it the more you understand it. Good luck..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread