New Member in San Diego

Klems

Jul 12, 2012
San Diego, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey guys,

I stumbled across this site looking for wrecks off the California coast and found a bit more than I expected!

A little about me: I'm an officer on one of the "big grey things" in San Diego and I've already done two deployments to the Middle East. I graduated from Norwich University with a BA in Studies of War and Peace with an emphasis on Cold War naval strategy. I am no stranger to old dusty libraries and have spent my fair share of time doing research in the Library of Congress, the Naval Historical Center and my own school library (which is quite extensive on military history).

Now that I'm back in California, I thought I'd pick up diving again and I'm working on buying my own gear. Although I've been certified since I was 15, I never had a good buddy to go with so I always rented. I'm certainly not a veteran, but I've done plenty of local beach dives, night dives, and two wreck dives: the HMCS Yukon in San Diego and the Foss 125 in Laguna. I have my own 33' fishing boat so getting to any dive site along the coast or the Channel Islands isn't a problem.

I've been looking through the forums, especially in the California section and there seems to be some pretty cool stuff out there still undiscovered. And that's what I interests me, finding what's lost, not necessarily the treasure. I loved reading through "The Pearl Ship" thread and all the evidence and research that has gone into finding that. The Trinidad off Oceanside looks like it's a hoax. And if anyone finds one of the Manila galleons, that would be the find of the decade.

In short, I'm not really out for the treasure, for me its more about the search, the adventure, and if I find anything, the fame and of course the pictures! I remember someone on here comparing us to "historical-detectives" and that's kinda what I want to do. Weekend adventurer if you will.

So where would be a good place to start? Any legends of undiscovered wrecks that haven't already been mentioned (treasure or no treasure) or any undiscovered ghost towns that might start me off on a good path?

Kevin

The west coast is loaded with ghost towns and abandoned military out posts, it just takes a lot of research to find any of them. Your in gold nugget country out there. Treasures to be found just about everywhere, good luck !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back