New member looking for map advice

NYRanger

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2007
Long time reader, first time poster. Recently I found a 1789 map in the library and it has a symbol on it that I'm not quite sure what it is. Anyone here know what the heck that six pointed star is? The map shows a bridge over a stream. The downward direction on the map is North. There is a homestead just to the north of the bridge and the star is at the northwest corner of the bridge between the homestead and the stream. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• StarMarking.JPG
    StarMarking.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 631

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well the sun is sometimes used to denote gold buried here on a map. However since I know nothing of this map, it's origin, or purpose - I really have no idea.

OP
OP
N

NYRanger

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2007
Ocean7 said:
well the sun is sometimes used to denote gold buried here on a map. However since I know nothing of this map, it's origin, or purpose - I really have no idea.

No, no. It's not a treasure map. Its a historical colonial map showing a main roadway, bridge, and residence/properties of the wealthy colonial landowners. The spot where the star is had a system of grist, saw, and textile mills for a very short period at the end of the 1800s. They burned shortly after they were built and the owners moved them. That section of bridge and road was the MAIN road until the bridge and road were abandonned and the road straightened. The bridge is no longer there and that area with the star and road are now buried in the woods and pretty much forgotten (except for me :) )

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok well then I'll take a swag... a saw mill... :)

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
The only thing I got from that is, time!!!From the look of it.. 4-4:30 PM
RD

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
??? Sorry, I'm at a loss, too, on that one. It sounds like you did your resurch on the area though! Hope you find lot's of goodies.... HH

Desertfox

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its next to a water source its a

water wheel ::) ;D

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I think it's just the sun. Sometimes map makers included little artist touches to maps back then and I think that they just put the sun shining down on the house as one of these embellishments.

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Does look like a mill wheel, though, doesn't it? Mills are something they always had more of than post offices.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
NYRanger said:
dunn1866 said:
RD
?
The sun is not in the right place...the shadow of the house cast at about 4-4:30.
The treasure maybe where the shadow is ? Just a quess not seeing all the map.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
NYRanger I don't have any advice on the map. But I would like to welcome you to the forum. Great group of peps here. Good luck with the hunt, will be looking forward to your finds.

Postalrevnant

OP
OP
N

NYRanger

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2007
dunn1866 said:
NYRanger said:
dunn1866 said:
RD
?
The sun is not in the right place...the shadow of the house cast at about 4-4:30.
The treasure maybe where the shadow is ? Just a quess not seeing all the map.

There isn't anything else on the map. Just this creek, a larger creek this one dumps into and the road. All it is, is one in a series of maps showing the route from one city to another, all the wealthy landowners homes between the cities, and the smaller roads intersecting this main road. This "wheel", or "sun", or marking or whatever it is, is pretty much in the center of the map. It isn't in an upper corner where you would expect an artist to put the sun. A friend of mine told me that he was under the impression that a "star" sometimes would indicate a trading post or a fort...which would be amazing, but the history books have the closest colonial fort about 10 miles from this spot and the closest trading post about 5. I wish the shadow thing were true. Problem is the whole area where this house was sitting is now under an asphalt parking lot...but the road, "wheel", bridge, and spot where there were late 1800s mills is buried in the woods. If anyone has any more ideas let me know. Thanks.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the map maker wasn't too handy at drawing...here is an old map with the N S direction..kinda looks like it could be the same..but not real good at drawing..like me..lol

Attachments

• oldmap.jpg
    oldmap.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 309
OP
OP
N

NYRanger

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2007
Very good. Looks like its probably a mill. Thanks for the help. Will let you know what I find!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stilldign said:
Your six-pointed star is a tunnel symbol. This tunnel is located near a water-way.
Figure out where to fold this coded map and you'll get the true location of this tunnel.
Remember, if, in the folding of this map any symbols lie "in the water," then you need to reverse the map for that part of the instructions.
please

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread