New member, new detector...need opinions on new purchase.

emejia

Mar 30, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro; BH Sharpshooter II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Years ago my dad bought a Bounty Hunter TR 500, so naturally my first detector was a BH Sharp Shooter II. I just upgraded to a White's MXT Pro, which came with a 12 inch coil, 6x10 Eclipse DD coil, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche tool, White's Royal GT headphones and White's carry bag for $470. They are used (approx. twice) and look virtually new. So, my questions are, was this a good deal (seems like it based on new MSRP)? I assume this is a significant upgrade over the Sharpshooter II? Any tips on use and coils (mostly coin shooting around old home sites, etc.). Thanks!

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a very good deal

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got a great deal on one of the best detectors in my opinion, I like using the D2 coil(10"DD coil) and running mine a little hot to get those really deep targets. I usually run mine at +2 gain just make sure it's not too hot on the gain as too much noise and you can't hear those deep whisper targets, make sure to only run the threshold at just barely audible and if it's to unstable in some area's you might have to back the gain off a little as some places you'll get bad EMI which causes more noise that you'll hear. Make sure to have a very good set of headphones as it makes it easier to hear those really deep whisper targets. HH

OP
OP
E

emejia

Mar 30, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro; BH Sharpshooter II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to give them a try, hopefully this weekend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread