What's new

New object

Ninjafossils

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2012
Messages
679
Reaction score
345
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is the second unidentifiable object from the peace river. It superficially resembles a tooth, but I have some doubts. It's not really recurved and looks like it doesn't have enamel. It kinda looks more like a spike. Any more ideas?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427909689.776481.webp


ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427909701.583336.webp

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427909724.407877.webp


ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427909736.647493.webp


ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427909746.385288.webp
 
Looks like it could be a beat up gator tooth. I think I see a seam down the side. Let's see what others say.
 
I'm thinking garfish tooth
 
It is very likely a fossil, but the images are too small to make out details. If your camera has a macro setting, use it.

Some quick measurements of your second image reveals that the fossil takes up only about 2% of the image. If your raw images are crisp, crop them to show only the fossil.
 
This should be better

IMG_20150401_204118.webp



IMG_20150401_204252.webp



IMG_20150401_204359.webp
 
I can't be certain without an image of the broken bottom of the cone; but, I'm inclined to think that this is a section of a sperm whale tooth. The enamel of these teeth grows in conical sections, and I have broken examples with a cone end.

It is not a crocodilian tooth. Those teeth would not survive without delaminating. Fish teeth tend to be laterally compressed. Anyway, an image of the base of the cone might be dispositive.

Here are some sperm whale teeth. These teeth were selected for completeness, not to show the pattern of breakage. I'll keep my eye out for a better example when I rummage through storage.
whaleKogiopsisteeth.webp​
 
Since the tip of his is complete something that small and far down at the tip of a sperm whale tooth would still be solid.. His has a hollow cavity

ForumRunner_20150402_161727.webp



ForumRunner_20150402_161800.webp



ForumRunner_20150402_161921.webp
 
While they are hollow it becomes solid before the very tip.
Whatever it is it looks like a gar fish tooth in the photos to me.. That or the tip of an antler tine... still waiting to see the rest of your finds.

ForumRunner_20150402_162127.webp
 
Last edited:
A sperm whale tooth could be broken anywhere along its length to show a conical growth ring.

A good close-up image of the base is required for a confident identification.
 
Yeah ninja come back do you copy?
 
Here is a slightly (very slightly) better pic of the inside. It is conical, but the hole does NOT go all the way to the top ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428085641.506207.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428085696.265104.webp
 
That did help.. Speaking of dispositive.. I'm almost positive it's not a fish tooth of any kind I really don't even think it's a tooth at all I'm putting my money on antler tine.
 
I went digging through my scraps for a while for that one sorry I didn't have time to take better photos I'm getting my stuff ready to go snook fishing best of luck out there my friend

ForumRunner_20150403_152708.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom