epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
It's always great to have someone see your pics on Google while searching bottles and they end up emailing you, it's even better when one of the bottles turns out to be the First and Only documented example to see the light of day. Dug in Secaucus N.J. in the 1980's this is the only documented example of a Quinto Canova bottle I'm aware of. He is only listed as a Beer Bottler in the city directories at 23 Lane St. in 1900-01(Lane St. no longer exists), and then 15 Van Houten St. in 1902.

Canova was born in Italy in 1852 and came to America in 1893 and married his wife Carolina, they had eight children Efficeo, Irene, Irma, Hacole, Richard, Romeo, Marina and Carrie. In the 1909 and 1910 city directories they are listed as living at 282 Straight St. which is also a saloon they run, Quinto is also listed as a carpenter during this time. In their later years Quinto and Carolina live with Marina and her family at 644 East 30th St. until his death.

The saloon at 282 Straight St. was part of the heavily populated Italian section of Paterson that I plan on doing a special post about in the near future. With names like Garbaccio, Costa, Besso, Valenia and Negro, it will make for some interesting research.

Canova blob.jpg

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great news Jim. Amazing how sometimes the bottle finds you instead of you finding it.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you know the rarity of it when you acquired it or was it brought to your attention by the email you got? You have got to be the envy of most local bottle collectors in your area, you have shown quitea collection.

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you know the rarity of it when you acquired it or was it brought to your attention by the email you got? You have got to be the envy of most local bottle collectors in your area, you have shown quitea collection.
I knew of Canova and his 3 years listed as a beer bottler in the city directories, but since I had never seen an embossed bottle I assumed he used paper labels only, that is until now. I have an almost complete detailed list of every bottler, liquor & wine dealer, mineral water/soda bottler and saloon owner dating back to 1860. I also did a detailed listed of all the known bottlers by their addresses and I keep a detailed list of all the Paterson bottles sold on Ebay and elsewhere since 2009. You could say I'm a bit obsessed, now I am working on ancestry.com to get their family histories as well...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions