What's new

New pictures of GATOR finds!!!

timekiller

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
3,853
Reaction score
966
Golden Thread
1
Location
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wife was off from work today and wanted to get out.It had been awhile since we had been out together. So was all for it.Got off kinda late so picked a site I have found some good things at.Just a basic get out of the house thing.Have hit this shore line purdy hard already.So wasn't counting on much.This fall it will be a good place able to get in the woods.Anyway had found another muskett ball and a piece of old lead shot,piece of pipe steam,and a hammerd out little pendant made of lead can't see no real features on it, also a woulda' been nice bottle.Pendant came from a little area of indian stuff could be something they had :dontknow:.Had started heading back in and was following the shore line close just looking like I always do for signs of old places when I spotted some bones in the marsh.So I stoped looked and could tell right away that it was a gator skeleton.And a large one at that.I'd knew and had seen some around here in my life but not very common for here.It had died facing the water and all the bones where there except it's head.Probably had washed away, the way it was laying.Wife had never seen one before so she couldn't believe it.So I was joking her on the way in that there was probably another one around.I'd splash the water when she weren't looking.Anyway had her worked up.And what do you know another one popped right up in front of us.It was a good size one too.The wife grabed the ore :dontknow: looked at me and said get me to that dock. :laughing9:So me not really knowing her intentions with the ore got her to the dock. :laughing9: :laughing7: ;D Anyway she believes theres gators around now! :laughing9:
 

Attachments

  • 000_0132.webp
    000_0132.webp
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,447
  • 000_0133.webp
    000_0133.webp
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,415
  • 000_0134.webp
    000_0134.webp
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,412
  • 000_0135.webp
    000_0135.webp
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,412
  • 000_0136.webp
    000_0136.webp
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,415
  • 000_0139.webp
    000_0139.webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 1,406
  • 000_0138.webp
    000_0138.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,409
  • 000_0137.webp
    000_0137.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,406
Upvote 0
timekiller said:
creeper71 said:
timekiller said:
Also I don't see any hack marks on the last neck vertebra.Don't mean nothing I don't guess except that they took their time cutting it off, if they did.With the size I'd say for around here probably died of old age.Just another neat find and project for me.Do hope to find his head though.
You did say you might be missing 4 of the neck bones..correct? maybe a few of them was lost when they hacked the neck an pulled the head off... altho if does get cold in NC sometimes maybe it froze to death... hope you do find the head an missing bones..but stay out of the water since there is another Gator in the water there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Right on creeper 71 on staying out of the water!The thing is I've been going back and fouth to this site since last winter.Right at the edge of the water is right where I've been doing my looking just wonder how many times I've been sized up. :laughing9:Know there are two for sure there now since I've become aware of them.Another big one I've seen,and a little one the last time 21/2ft or so.
Thanks,

Timekiller!
I'm assuming since you said lil one you mean 2 1/2ft not 21 or 22 ft... If so that is still a baby which means momma must have had a clutch of eggs there at some point so there probly alot more there then you think....
 
creeper71 said:
timekiller said:
creeper71 said:
timekiller said:
Also I don't see any hack marks on the last neck vertebra.Don't mean nothing I don't guess except that they took their time cutting it off, if they did.With the size I'd say for around here probably died of old age.Just another neat find and project for me.Do hope to find his head though.
You did say you might be missing 4 of the neck bones..correct? maybe a few of them was lost when they hacked the neck an pulled the head off... altho if does get cold in NC sometimes maybe it froze to death... hope you do find the head an missing bones..but stay out of the water since there is another Gator in the water there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Right on creeper 71 on staying out of the water!The thing is I've been going back and fouth to this site since last winter.Right at the edge of the water is right where I've been doing my looking just wonder how many times I've been sized up. :laughing9:Know there are two for sure there now since I've become aware of them.Another big one I've seen,and a little one the last time 21/2ft or so.
Thanks,

Timekiller!
I'm assuming since you said lil one you mean 2 1/2ft not 21 or 22 ft... If so that is still a baby which means momma must have had a clutch of eggs there at some point so there probly alot more there then you think....
Yes 2ft 5in creeper71.21 or 22 ft and I don't think I'd be worried about looking for anymore relics at that site. :laughing9: :laughing7: ;D :thumbsup:
 
Well till I find anymore,if I do.This is it.I'm 6'4 210lbs myself and this is how he looks with me holding him minus the bones I'm missing.I now believe there are 5 neck vertebra,might be 1 end tale vertebra,head,and quite a few foot bones missing.Have enough back foot bones to tell that if he wore shoes they be a size 13 :laughing9: :laughing7: ;D
 

Attachments

  • 000_0147.webp
    000_0147.webp
    160.3 KB · Views: 420
  • 000_0148.webp
    000_0148.webp
    166.7 KB · Views: 420
  • 000_0150.webp
    000_0150.webp
    144.2 KB · Views: 413
  • 000_0151.webp
    000_0151.webp
    130.9 KB · Views: 409
Ok, the teeth....yeah, I forgot about that. Probably got gnawed off and drug off by scavangers. Can't think of wkhy anyone would take a skull and leave the teeth. Never mind! Monty

Oh, by the way, very cool way you reassembled the skeleton.
 
Monty said:
Ok, the teeth....yeah, I forgot about that. Probably got gnawed off and drug off by scavangers. Can't think of wkhy anyone would take a skull and leave the teeth. Never mind! Monty

Oh, by the way, very cool way you reassembled the skeleton.
Thanks Monty, It was like anything else the first time.It had it's up's and downs.But over all purdy fun to do.Scrubing and cleaning part not so fun! :laughing7:
Thanks Again Timekiller!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom