Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's something I've wondered about and maybe someone out there can answer my question.

Does the coil wire inside the shaft move and therefore produce falsing?

I know with my GT I had to tightly fasten the coil cable to the shaft with nylon ties to keep it from moving. Since the coil cable is inside the shaft on the Explorers, I can't secure it. I have noticed that the coiled wire does rattle when the rod is bumped.

Badger

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It sounds like you had/have a loose connection somewhere on your GT as it should not false so easily from your coil wire not being snug.

I had the first two Explorers which are basically setup like the SE and know they dont false from the wire inside the shaft. Mostly the Explorers and Sovs false from to high a sens setting or on the Explorer you can set the gain to high and that will do it also.

HH
Neil

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
NeilinFR said:
It sounds like you had/have a loose connection somewhere on your GT as it should not false so easily from your coil wire not being snug.

I had the first two Explorers which are basically setup like the SE and know they dont false from the wire inside the shaft. Mostly the Explorers and Sovs false from to high a sens setting or on the Explorer you can set the gain to high and that will do it also.

HH
Neil

Thanks. I haven't used my new SE yet because we have 16 inches of snow and blizzard conditions right now. But I noticed the coiled coil cable does move slightly within the shaft and was wondering if that could cause falsing. Probably not because so far I haven't read anything about that happening.

I know with my Nautilus machines the slightest movement of the coil cable down in the area of the coil can cause big problems.

I didn't have any trouble with the Sovereign GT falsing. I just made the cable tight to make sure I wouldn't have a problem.

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
NeilinFR said:

HH
Neil

Thanks. I haven't used my new SE yet because we have 16 inches of snow and blizzard conditions right now. But I noticed the coiled coil cable does move slightly within the shaft and was wondering if that could cause falsing. Probably not because so far I haven't read anything about that happening.

I know with my Nautilus machines the slightest movement of the coil cable down in the area of the coil can cause been problems.

I didn't have any trouble with the Sovereign GT falsing. I just made the cable tight to make sure I wouldn't have a problem.

Yikes 16" of snow. Been awhile since we had that much here in NJ. Good luck with your SE. I tried several Explorers and just didnt enjoy them at all. Hard to see the meter, the cursor wasnt moving at the same speed as the tones and a few other things. They do go deep though and that iron mask adjustment is a super feature. Sometimes I think that would be a good feature on the Sov. The two machines are very close in performance. Good luck with it and hopefully you wont have to wait till spring to give it a whirl.....
HH
Neil

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
NeilinFR said:
Yikes 16" of snow. Been awhile since we had that much here in NJ. Good luck with your SE. I tried several Explorers and just didnt enjoy them at all. Hard to see the meter, the cursor wasnt moving at the same speed as the tones and a few other things. They do go deep though and that iron mask adjustment is a super feature. Sometimes I think that would be a good feature on the Sov. The two machines are very close in performance. Good luck with it and hopefully you wont have to wait till spring to give it a whirl.....
HH
Neil

Thanks. By the looks of the weather right now it's hard to believe we'll ever get another spring ;D Haven't been able to get out of the driveway in 3 days. People with 4-wheel drives are getting stuck. This is the hardest snow this time of year I've ever seen up here.

I don't know about the Explorer SE yet. I didn't mind the feel of the Explorer II I had but that one didn't have any depth to it. Right now depth and the ability to handle iron are my 2 biggest concerns.

HH,

Badger

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the x1 probe on my coil cable is on the outside of the shaft and it does not seem to bother it any.I think that may have been part of reason the cable was placed in the shaft,so there was no chance of the cable causing interference.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
teverly said:
With the x1 probe on my coil cable is on the outside of the shaft and it does not seem to bother it any.I think that may have been part of reason the cable was placed in the shaft,so there was no chance of the cable causing interference.

Does the Explorer shaft tubing have shielding in it?

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No,just keeps you from reading the coil cable by putting it in the shaft.On my fisher cz6a i have 2 or 3 velcor tabs holding my coil wire to the shaft.
If it hangs to far out over the top of the coil the detector will read the wires in the cables.I have never had that problem with any of my explorers.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
teverly said:
No,just keeps you from reading the coil cable by putting it in the shaft.On my fisher cz6a i have 2 or 3 velcor tabs holding my coil wire to the shaft.
If it hangs to far out over the top of the coil the detector will read the wires in the cables.I have never had that problem with any of my explorers.

Thanks much.

Badger

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i have never had any trouble with the coil wire badge.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Michigan Badger,

I believe that the metal shaft itself functions as an electrical shield on your explorer. The coil can't "see" any cable movement because it's inside (shielded) by the metal shaft. Joe

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
JOE(USA) said:
Michigan Badger,

I believe that the metal shaft itself functions as an electrical shield on your explorer. The coil can't "see" any cable movement because it's inside (shielded) by the metal shaft. Joe

Is it metal? Hummmm. I thought it was graphite or something.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
its carbon fiber which will conduct like metal. whether or not it acts like shielding i dont know though. ???

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Michigan Badger said:
Here's something I've wondered about and maybe someone out there can answer my question.

Does the coil wire inside the shaft move and therefore produce falsing?

I know with my GT I had to tightly fasten the coil cable to the shaft with nylon ties to keep it from moving. Since the coil cable is inside the shaft on the Explorers, I can't secure it. I have noticed that the coiled wire does rattle when the rod is bumped.

Badger
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :) :) :) :) :) :) :) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.................................................................Badger i posted this some were else but you might not see it there........................I went into this web site were they test all type of detectors............garysdetecting.co.uk............... and in thier test they showed the ..Sovereign...to be deeper than the...Explorer... what i always said and knew for i have owned both now i have the ...Sovereign... got rid of the ..Explorer a long time ago....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread