Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick ?: was the "Willow Canyon" that Jack took the metal detector guy up to see the ladder glyphs refer to Peralta Canyon?

If so, they didn't have to hike in too far.

George

No - It isn't Peralta Canyon. No, they did not have to hike too far and No it wasn't Willow Canyon. I hope nobody says exactly where those are as I would be very worried that some bonehead might go out there and damage all the ones that are along that route.

It's not a secret location or anything, and with just a little "sleuthing" you can find out where they are, but I'd rather not be the one to disclose the location.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the problem, and it's just to easy for someone to peck their own stuff on those panels. Or even on any blackened rock out there.
That's why I don't trust any of the petroglyph style crosses, knives, and "maps". Even the carved ones, though they would be somewhat more difficult and time consuming to create should be suspect. Too much time has passed, with too many hunting all over the map....and maps..... for treasure signs. Many, being frustrated I suppose, or wishing to have everyone else "look over there", have left those X's, Hearts, crosses,and El Gato's behind in order to deceive.
Now, and I wish they had considered this, there will probably be a lot more "black....and red....hands" suddenly appearing out there. We're gonna need a new database to keep up.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I
That's the problem, and it's just to easy for someone to peck their own stuff on those panels. Or even on any blackened rock out there.
That's why I don't trust any of the petroglyph style crosses, knives, and "maps". Even the carved ones, though they would be somewhat more difficult and time consuming to create should be suspect. Too much time has passed, with too many hunting all over the map....and maps..... for treasure signs. Many, being frustrated I suppose, or wishing to have everyone else "look over there", have left those X's, Hearts, crosses,and El Gato's behind in order to deceive.
Now, and I wish they had considered this, there will probably be a lot more "black....and red....hands" suddenly appearing out there. We're gonna need a new database to keep up.

The new, fake symbols are not the problem as they are easy enough to distinguish from the old ones. It's the vandelism of the older signs and monuments that will be the ongoing issue. I will look for the photograph tonight but there is or was something chiseled into the canyon wall in Peters, about 18 inches square. It looks like whatever was there has been hammered/chiseled away.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually it depicts a Presidential Arrastra with all the jackasses going around it.

The mosaic is fishing net used for Crabbing in the salt river and the figure eight is an Ice Skating Rink the Indian's used during the summer months during their ceremonial dances.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A person hunting the LDM should not rely on any monuments found in the Supers. Know the story. Know the possible areas of interest. In the 124 years since Jacob Waltz died, a crapton of people have put their own little petroglyphs out there, a crapton of people have torn down things they thought may have been monuments. What those mountains may have looked like back in 1890 (monument wise) might not be anything like they look today.

I have said it before that in all likelihood, the person who will find the LDM will be some treehugging hiker, with no interest in lost mines. He/she will be climbing some trail and have a leg fall through into the mine and be an instant hero.

Mike

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hiker your correct in the area's of any mines I've never found petroglyphs accept for one spot that was the first one I ever saw that had photographic evidence dating back to 1948 and hasn't changed since that time.

View attachment 1130783

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The OLD show on the Dutchman.

Click on the YouTube symbol to watch it.....

pkdmslf

Feb 26, 2015
Aridzona
Detector(s) used
El Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lust for Gold, 1949

That's where the number of 20 million dollars worth of gold came from:icon_scratch:

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The LDM recovery team ! :occasion14:
Seven Dwarfs.jpg

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lust for Gold, 1949

That's where the number of 20 million dollars worth of gold came from:icon_scratch:

Well, it was certainly mentioned more than once.
One of the earliest numbers given to the legend, but I'm not sure who said it first....after Waltz of course :laughing7:
Someone else may have the answer to that question.

In the making of Lust For Gold, actors and crew did a fair amount of climbing to reach the places used.
Much heavier cameras in those days, so my hat is off to them.
The stuntmen for the riskier shots, like the cliff top and fight scenes must have been almost fearless.
I remember cubfan almost going over one of the same cliffs.
I looked, but didn't see any safety lines in use.
I thought Will Geer was great in the role of the cop gone bad.
IMDB has the flick listed as "For Those Who Dare" in their database.

Last edited:

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Well tonight is the last of the six, its been a good ride and hope to see future one's. But I'll go with a CLIFFHANGER on this last one!
They'll find a sealed mine or vault with the cross on the door and BANG! Long wait till next season.

Wrmickel1

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a feeling the cross won't be in a door.

I have a feeling the Cross will be in a Picture someone shows them & says they were told it
was taken there somewhere.

reason for season two. Search for the cross

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed the Show , but get very irritated with these short seasons.

I have refused to watch season 2 of many programs simply because
the wait made me decide it isn't worth the irritation.

this break may kill it for me.

We'll see how it goes

bigtimedeal

Feb 3, 2011
FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought the season finale was pretty great. It would have been better if they had found any gold or treasure at all, but it leaves me wanting more more more. If there isn't a follow-up season I am going to go coo-coo bananas

There was a funny moment when Frank and Woody were in the boat waiting and Frank was giving Woody a hard time. I can't recall exactly what he said but I LOL'd

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Woooooe

Did I call that or what, Almost like me and Frank are in bed together,Me the dude of course' but can you feel it, I sure did.

Your Greatest fan, Frank

Wrmickel1

Rick4570

Jun 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, Minelab 800 Equinox, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The curse of oak island .......desert style.......

jmw144

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoy the show-entertaining, just entertaining, but please, if there is a season 2, leave Woody at home. The guy is scared of his own shadow. It's gotten very annoying. Just let him stay home and watch on tv. I have to mute the sound when hes on camera. I just can't listen to him and his "bad feelings" about every little thing. I don't get how the other guys have put up with him. Otherwise the show has been ok.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread