What's new

New Site...Day 3

Silvermonkey

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2013
Messages
5,606
Reaction score
13,866
Golden Thread
2
Location
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happy Labor Day All- I was able to get back out to the old farm site that I have been exploring. Spent about 4 hours gridding through some spots. Aside from the typical pile of shotgun head stamps, I managed to pull out a few interesting items

01.webp


Highlights included two IHP ( 1893 & 1902), a silver ring, a drawer pull, an ornate button, and what I believe is a counterfeit French West Indies 2 Sols coin.

02.webp 03.webp

The 2-piece button was gilded, and has an interesting motif. If anyone recognizes the design, please let me know. I've not seen it before:

04.webp


The French West Idies 2 Sols coin has a very interesting history. They were produced between 1779-1797, and contained 20% silver. Numista has a web page that tells the story. ( https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7571.html).
Apparently the British did a lot of counterfeiting of this coin between 1797-1798. They had no silver content, and were 100% made of brass. The coin I found yesterday appears to be a counterfeit. It looks very different than a similar coin I found last year that I believe was genuine (see side by side pic). Let me know what you think.

05.webp


06.webp


As always, thanks for taking a look. Cheers!
 
Upvote 16
Happy Labor Day All- I was able to get back out to the old farm site that I have been exploring. Spent about 4 hours gridding through some spots. Aside from the typical pile of shotgun head stamps, I managed to pull out a few interesting items

View attachment 2223348

Highlights included two IHP ( 1893 & 1902), a silver ring, a drawer pull, an ornate button, and what I believe is a counterfeit French West Indies 2 Sols coin.

View attachment 2223349 View attachment 2223350

The 2-piece button was gilded, and has an interesting motif. If anyone recognizes the design, please let me know. I've not seen it before:

View attachment 2223351

The French West Idies 2 Sols coin has a very interesting history. They were produced between 1779-1797, and contained 20% silver. Numista has a web page that tells the story. ( https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7571.html).
Apparently the British did a lot of counterfeiting of this coin between 1797-1798. They had no silver content, and were 100% made of brass. The coin I found yesterday appears to be a counterfeit. It looks very different than a similar coin I found last year that I believe was genuine (see side by side pic). Let me know what you think.

View attachment 2223352

View attachment 2223353

As always, thanks for taking a look. Cheers!
A great day of detecting for sure, CONGRATS!!
 
I like those sol coins and the history that you wrote about them. The one on the left sure does look less corroded. Some of the difference could depend upon the environment of course. I wonder what denomination of British Colonial coinage the 2 sol was accepted for? It looks a little bigger than the cents but would be smaller, I think, than a halfpenny. Maybe a farthing?
 
Some very nice finds :) Thank you for sharing with us
 
I’d like to see a side shot of the ring
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom