New spot brings another first!!! 2-cent piece!!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, I know I shouldn't be on TN on Christmas eve but I'm pretty excited and Santa is still not here. ;D

After work today, I started my maiden voyage at a new spot I just received permission to detect. This house was built just after the Civil War. The house sits at a busy intersection, and used to be rented out so I wasn't expecting much more than beer cans and pull tabs. BOY WAS I SURPRISED!!! :o
Right off the bat I started digging wheat pennies which was a good sign. :icon_thumleft: I dug old relics too which was another good sign. I dug a Merc, a Buff, plus much more. My best find came though at the end of my hunt as I was walking quickly towards a field area to detect. In the front yard I got a signal that was deep and I could tell it was going to be a coin just by the tone. At about 6" I saw a round green coin in the hole but had no clue what it was. :dontknow: It was too small to be a large cent, and I didn't see anything on it but a shield. I had a feeling it was an 1800's coin but didn't know what. :icon_scratch: Once I got home I cleaned the dirt off with only water & a Q-tip, and I could see a big "2" on the back.
I grabbed my coin book and sure enough, a 2-cent piece!!! This was another first for me.
That now makes an 1850 LC, 1860 IH fatty, and a 186? 2-cent piece within about a month. Ya-hoooo!
I don't know what it is, but Nov & Dec always seem to be good to me. :icon_thumleft:

I think I did pretty good on my first time at this spot. There was a great variety still there to be found. I'll be hitting it again this weekend I hope.

My finds today were:

*186? 2-cent piece

*1923 Buff nickel

*1944 Merc

*1948 Netherlands (?) 1-cent Is that what this is? No idea why this coin would be here. :dontknow:

*Wheats (12 total) - 1918 , 20 (x2) , 40 , 44 , 46 , 50 , 51 , 52 , 53 (x2) , 54.

*Silver decorative piece (looks old & like real silver)

*Wedding band

*Skeleton key, oval pin , Hubley car front , Hubley truck rear wheels , hatchet head , iron fence top, pocket knife, watch piece, etc.

Thanks for looking & take it easy tonight on the egg-nog. :occasion14: ;D
Goodnight to all, and to all a good night.
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-154S.JPG
    MVC-154S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,882
  • MVC-155S.JPG
    MVC-155S.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,851
  • MVC-156S.JPG
    MVC-156S.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,868
  • MVC-157S.JPG
    MVC-157S.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,871
  • MVC-158S.JPG
    MVC-158S.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,865
  • MVC-159S.JPG
    MVC-159S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 1,862
  • MVC-160S.JPG
    MVC-160S.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,860
  • MVC-161S.JPG
    MVC-161S.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 1,846
  • MVC-162S.JPG
    MVC-162S.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,864
  • MVC-163S.JPG
    MVC-163S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 1,837
  • MVC-164S.JPG
    MVC-164S.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,842
  • MVC-165S.JPG
    MVC-165S.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,846
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I am still looking for my first deuce! You have had some awesome finds recently!

Keep it up!

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Really nice finds, Congrats on the 2 cent piece. Merry Christmas.
Dman

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just adding my 2 cents here. Some real nice finds you've made. :thumbsup: Congrats.

Merry Christmas.

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds dug. :headbang:

The unknown coin is a Postwar / WWII issue Netherlands 1 cent coin, not sure if the germans were still in occupation at the time.
Made of bronze. worth $2.50 in good shape.

I guess that makes 4 firsts.

I like all the other goodies as well especially the grill and axle from the toy car.

Were you using your old or new detector? I know its hard to learn a new one.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
B|lker

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations my friend! I love those 3 cent pieces I think that they are one of the best coins to find in terms of

their patina. They have some of the richest dark green patinas that I have seen on coins! Not a bad hunt in terms

of your other finds either, definitely alot of targets dug! Really nice diggin their Doug :wink: :wink: :icon_thumleft:

Tear it up! HH

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
I am still looking for my first deuce! You have had some awesome finds recently!

Keep it up!

Thanks Neil. I don't think there is much you HAVEN'T found, so I'm honored. ;D
-MM-

B|lker said:
Nice finds dug. :headbang:

The unknown coin is a Postwar / WWII issue Netherlands 1 cent coin, not sure if the germans were still in occupation at the time.
Made of bronze. worth $2.50 in good shape.

I guess that makes 4 firsts.

I like all the other goodies as well especially the grill and axle from the toy car.

Were you using your old or new detector? I know its hard to learn a new one.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
B|lker

Thanks Bill. I was wondering if the Netherlands coin was from the war? Seems like whenever I find a foreign coin they are from that time frame. You're right, the Netherlands coin was a first too. I actually thought I had a dime until I pulled it out of the coin tumbler. ;D
That Hubley car grill will look good in a display too.
I'm still using my old Silver Umax. I just haven't been able give the Vaquero a try yet.
-Doug-

{Sentinel} said:
Congratulations my friend! I love those 3 cent pieces I think that they are one of the best coins to find in terms of
their patina. They have some of the richest dark green patinas that I have seen on coins! Not a bad hunt in terms
of your other finds either, definitely alot of targets dug! Really nice diggin their Doug :wink: :wink: :icon_thumleft:
Tear it up! HH

Thanks Josh, it's a 2-cent piece but the 3-cent is next on my list. ;D :wink:
-Doug-

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, Doug, on your first 2-center! :hello2: :hello2: Good luck gridding that place off.

HH and Merry Christmas!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:

Tear it up! HH

My apologies Doug, I meant 2 cent piece :tongue3: Must've hit the wrong key.....

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michiganne said:
Congrats, Doug, on your first 2-center! :hello2: :hello2: Good luck gridding that place off.

HH and Merry Christmas!

Thanks Mich,
I hope more are lurking at this property for me. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

{Sentinel} said:
{Sentinel} said:

Tear it up! HH

My apologies Doug, I meant 2 cent piece :tongue3: Must've hit the wrong key.....

Josh,
No problem buddy, I still type with one finger.
Happy hunting,
Doug

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Nice finds again Doug, congrats on another first for ya. I was lucky enough in October to find 2 of them in the same yard and they were my first ones as well. They are my favorite coin. Like you say, on to the 3 center now for us....Just too darn cold out there for us in the great white north. :'( Congrats on the finds...jgas

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jgas said:
Nice finds again Doug, congrats on another first for ya. I was lucky enough in October to find 2 of them in the same yard and they were my first ones as well. They are my favorite coin. Like you say, on to the 3 center now for us....Just too darn cold out there for us in the great white north. :'( Congrats on the finds...jgas

Thanks Jgas. :thumbsup:
I got out today for my 2nd attack on that yard. I did pretty good. Will try to post tomorrow.
-Doug-

Tin Nugget said:
Good job. 2 centers don't pop up often. I found one in pretty bad shape. Yours looks well worn but in pretty good condition for it's age.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,287819.0.html

Thanks Tin.
I knew when I saw a green disc in the hole I was going to be happy. ;D
-MM-

Gilligan said:
I still have yet to find a 2 cent piece! One of these days.

I would never of thought I would ever dig a 2-cent piece myself. You just never know I guess. :dontknow:
-MM-

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
I found only 2 2 centers in my life. It's a work of art if you ask me. Great job Doug.
Chris

Thanks Chris.
Pretty soon you'll be adding "D" to CKK. :laughing9: :tongue3:
-Dug-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JimBeHuntin' said:
Nice bunch of finds and that two center is sweet ... one of those is definitely high on my wish list! :headbang:

Thanks Big Jim.
I thought maybe I had dug an old token. ;D :dontknow:
You'll hit soon. :icon_thumleft:
-Doug-

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice 2-cent piece :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Still looking for my first :D

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Doug on your first 2 center. I haven't found one yet but I'm going to some day.
Buckleboy dug a beauty earlier this year that was flawless other than being a dug coin.
That coin is on my wish list. As Kyle said, there a seated waiting for you in that yard, go find it.
HB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread