New spot gives up a nice ring

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
I finally was able to get out to a new wooded spot today and came away with a nice 6.1 gram silver ring with what appears to be a Peridot-looking stone but may very well be synthetic. It sang like a quarter tone on the Safari and the meter read a solid +38 silver reading. Strangely there is no sterling or .925 marking, just what appears to be an "H" stamped on the inside. It was about 5" deep near the trunk of a small oak tree.

The Avon necklace was pure luck. I just happed to start digging a target and there it was in the ground. After removing it I waved it over the coil and no response. The chain is so thin it just doesn't sound off on the Safari (of course, I had also discriminated out the values that would show for smaller gold items since I was mainly looking for coins and didn't bother to check it in all metal). Waved the coil back over the hole and pulled out a modern penny. The necklace appears to have a thin gold plate and the stones have a kind of opal sheen to them, but I'm pretty sure this is just another Avon "junket" piece.

Gonna have to go back to this place because I also found an old, torn up foundation but I didn't have enough time to really go over that area with my detector.

HH!

Ray

Attachments

• ring1.JPG
    ring1.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,037
  • ring2.JPG
    ring2.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,042
  • ring3.JPG
    ring3.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,041
  • ring4.JPG
    ring4.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,052
  • necklace.JPG
    necklace.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,045
Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice piece of silver :icon_thumright:, and those damn Avon nitro moments. ;D

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have a very old ring the H was a silver mark Finnish and Danish check the site below , if so WTG !!! nice find

Hi! I've recently come across a piece of silver hallmarked 916. Would anyone know anything about this hallmark and where it was used?

I am also trying to find out more information about hallmarks used in Malta, not only this century but possibly also during the times of the Knights (circa 1550-1798).

Thanks and regards

submitted by Ray Zammit

I've only run across the use of the number '916' in one instance, and that in conjunction with the letter H, ie '916H'. H is the first letter of the Finnish word for silver, Hopea, and '916H' is a Finnish designation for .935 silver, see Warman's Jewelry 2nd Edition, 'Marks on Metals' for a concise listing of many silver fineness marks.
'Tardy's International Hallmarks on Silver' is a great resource, and also includes the above info, and much much more, including information about the hallmarks used in Malta from about 1530 onwards. Both of the above volumes can be found available for sale online or at quality booksellers. Hope this helps!

http://www.v-a-c.co.uk/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/3/products_id/412

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Deepdiger60, thanks for the info!

After reading your post I did a Google search of Finnish silver hallmarks, and if this site is correct, then the ring's "H" hallmark should date it to 1817!!! :headbang:

Am I wrong?

Check it out: http://www.925-1000.com/Ffinland_Date_Code.html

Ray

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray in CA said:

After reading your post I did a Google search of Finnish silver hallmarks, and if this site is correct, then the ring's "H" hallmark should date it to 1817!!! :headbang:

Am I wrong?

Ray
That sure looks like 1817 to me Wow ! check that stone also it might be Amazonite that would be truly a great find :thumbsup: keep us posted Jim

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks Jim! Tomorrow I have to take my little golden "whatizzit" that I found last week to the jeweler to see if he can tell me what the metal is, so I might as well take the ring and have him look at it too. Will post whatever info I find out from him.

Ray

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
Deepdiger60 said:
Ray in CA said:

Am I wrong?

Ray
That sure looks like 1817 to me Wow ! check that stone also it might be Amazonite that would be truly a great find :thumbsup: keep us posted Jim

I grew up in the shadow of Pike's Peak and have spent thousands of hours walking across and pondering the geology of the famous batholith associated with the mountain. It contains one of the greater deposits of Amazonite in the world. The stuff is everywhere.

That is definitely not Amazonite.
I agree being that the ring could be as old as thought who knows ? it might even be a Emerald :dontknow: only the Jeweler knows , back in the 60,s i used to train on Pikes Peak hump up that mountain everyday with a 50lb pack and rope repel down, on weekends are time off it was easy we used horses to the restaurant on top ;D i used to buy Amazonite jewelery from the local Native Americans there so i should of known better . HH Jim

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it is that old. :icon_scratch: That design dose not look like and older design. :dontknow: I think it is a modern design. I've been proven wrong before so, I could be wrong. :dontknow: I do this to learn mostly. Well that's my guess, please let us know what the stone is I'd like to know that more than anything. :notworthy:

Great finds !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Keep @ It and HH !! :D ;D

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Hey folks!

I posted this ring on a silver hallmarks forum, and the site admin doubts very much it dates back to 1817. He/she thinks it is modern, made within the last 60 years. Still, I'll try to take it to a jeweler (haven't had time yet) to see what else I can learn about this ring.

Ray

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Final Update

Hey folks,

Told you I would get back to you on this ring. Apparently it's not near as old as I had hoped. Still don't know why there is an "H" hallmark and no .925 or sterling stamp, but it is real silver. Also, the jeweler did confirm for me that the stone is a genuine Peridot but it has taken a serious beating. Still, a nice big silver ring is better than the skunk any day! :laughing7:

HH,

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread