What's new

new spot heart breaker and a tell me what you think

rivernomad44

Full Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2012
Messages
145
Reaction score
45
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
was there for a good bit today but focused mainly on the large creek that runs through it, with the lack of rain the past decade this massive creek is just a massive creek bed with steady water through the center, but i found both of these while raking through the steep embankment on outside of bed, one of the many many things i have learned for everybody here is that just cause it feels right doesnt mean anything haha but must show signs of use ,they obviously spent along time in the creek and i believe i got both on these...i think ha, and the real highlight was the point even though its broke 039.webp011.webp013.webp012.webp014.webp015.webp035.webp016.webp033.webp023.webp024.webp025.webp026.webp027.webp
 

Attachments

  • 038.webp
    038.webp
    116.3 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0
I think you are on to something. I think!!! Creek patina has always thrown me off. I have a piece from a creek that looks like an axe, but no one can say for sure. I think it is the creek patina. Check it out, you may be of help to me!

image-271426090.webp



image-1556776174.webp
 
wow that is neat, i wish i could help but im stumped, does ether end look different from the rest?
 
rivernomad44 said:
wow that is neat, i wish i could help but im stumped, does ether end look different from the rest?

I'll get you a few more pics in a bit. I wish I could help you more as well. You see the dark patina though. That makes ID tough!!
 
yeah it does! just that feeling when you have flipped, dug out, brushed off hundreds of rocks then you hold that one that for some reason feels like it belongs to someone thats how these were, so much so that i didnt even Q if it was, just what it was used for, but idk theres alot of large mussels is the creek and thought maybe like a shell cracker
 
@ river the first one looks like a broken Yadkin point. Just a guess. The other 2 I believe are just river rocks. Probably sedimentary stones. I have a few that look just like ax heads but I do believe they are natural. But the first one is a great find. Look in that spot where you found it for more.
 
second row down - the pic on the far right showing the 'blade' of the piece- it has those tell-tale 'ripples' of having been struck multiple times on both sides. Those marks don't come from Mother Nature, I don't think... JMHO. The rest... I dunno. They look like rocks that got a wack here and there- but with no man made signs of work. Again, JMHO.
Cheers-
Yakker
 
thank you yakkers i thought the same thing but didnt think of that as the blade but just shaping final product, the long front shows signs of use to me, would like input thanks
 
'long front'-? which pic? If what you're talking about is one of the first 3 pics- on same row as pic I mentioned, it's too hard to tell from the pics. Need close-ups and angles w/ natural light. River patina does a number on these things, and it really is hard to see...
Happy Hunting!
Yak
 
sorry that was a poor way describing what i was talking about, should of said blunt end, row 3 last 2 pics
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom