New spot pays off...the Lady is walking!!!

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Hey folks!

This morning I went out for a short 1 hour hunt at a new spot. It's a school located in a very old town dating back to 1863. I didn't know if I would find anything in the school yard but decided it was worthy a try. My first find was the small silver ring down about two inches. It's the twin sister of a small gold ring a buddy of mine found the other day when we were detecting at a park. It only rang up as +16 on the Safari. I thought "pull tab" but dug anyway. Glad I did.

After not finding much else of interest, I proceeded off the school yard and into the brush. Right next to a medium sized oak tree I got a nice signal on the Safari, ringing up at +38. From the sound of it I was expecting a quarter. Both clad and silver quarters have a distinct sound on the Safari and are very similar, so I was expecting either one but thought it would probably turn out clad. To my surprise I saw the silver disc peeking through the dirt, and then the eagle, and I KNEW I had a Walking Liberty half dollar!!! My first in over ten years of detecting. Never thought I would get one! The year is 1934. I let out a holler and thanked the Lord and decided it was time to head home.

HH,

Ray

Attachments

• ring1.JPG
    ring1.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 494
  • ring2.JPG
    ring2.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 495
  • Walker1.JPG
    Walker1.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 493
  • Walker2.JPG
    Walker2.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 494
  • Walker3.JPG
    Walker3.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 488
Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a nice lady, she has been waiting a long time for You to find Her!!!!!!! congrats!!!
Now go and find her sister!!! :laughing9:
HH Chug

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Very nice find Ray :headbang:

After two years I finally found my first one, then #2 & #3 came the following month, I'd never had dreamed that. Funny thing is, one of the senior members in our MD club told me at the last club meeting that silver half dollars were easy to find, you just have to hunt where nobody else had hunted yet :tongue3:

I would pound that area in the brush, must be plenty more where that came from (gotta be some SLQ's hiding there righ :icon_scratch:).

HH,
Brian

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one of those knot wire silver rings. :o Yours is nicer than mine its shaped mines just wire. :dontknow: I never found a walker though. :icon_scratch: Great hunting !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Thanks everyone!

Chug, yes I figure she's been in circulation a few years before she was dropped, but even so that would have been around 70 years ago. When I find old silver I love to contemplate just who was the last one to have their hands on it and what they were doing when they lost it.

Ray

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the first Ray. Soundslike you found a great spot to me.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, that's a nice Walker! The only one I have found had been in a fire. I still look at it every so often ;D, it's a 1917-D.

Keep lookin'! :thumbsup:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the walker! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions