New spot

magua

Sep 18, 2022
I’m newish to MD. Years ago, I was hiking along with my dog, and I came up on an area with strange features that appeared like a bridge had gone over a creek, and there were some stacked stones around the area. There was also some flat areas above that looked like they were level for a building of some type at one time. The area that I’m looking was heavily logged back in late 1800s and early 1900s.

It was also known to have a bunch of camps after that time. at present, there’s a logging road about a mile away and then interstate 80 was built and it’s approximately three-quarter mile away in the other direction. But this still appears like a strange old path goes back in the woods, and then has strange features here and there that look like they could’ve been areas of buildings. I need to investigate further.

I went yesterday and started metal detecting and found a large iron bracket around the old bridge area. I was getting some other hits on the top area where the path would’ve led to the bridge. Upon kicking the surface around, there were two new used shotgun shells laying there. I picked them up and put them in an empty log at the side of the path so they were out of the way. I turned back to the same exact area and scanned again, and got a hit and upon moving some leaves I saw a dirty, but shiny dime. It was near the same spot where the shotgun shells were. I thought immediately that it probably fell out of someone’s pocket with the shells when they were hunting at that area. I didn’t think much of it because it looked new.

I came home and I took it out of my pocket and I threw in a lid that I have in my basement and the lid has a little bit of solvent in it. I totally forgot about it until I was down in the garage today and I looked at the lid and pulled out the dime and cleaned it off and behold.

I have found dome newer coins, but nothing else of significance. This is a pretty good score for me. It also tells me that I need to go back to that area.

Attachments

• IMG_9293.jpeg
    IMG_9293.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9294.jpeg
    IMG_9294.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
Upvote 8

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A silver mercury dime is always a great find. Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions