New Tesoro Compadre on the way!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I finally pulled the trigger on a detector to replace the Fisher F2 I recently sold. I've read so many good things about the Compadre, (and Tesoro in general) I figured I can't really go wrong with it. The lifetime warranty is nice too. I pretty much had to dig every good signal with the F2 anyway, as the visual ID was very jumpy. I never knew what was really under the coil unless I dug it up. So I'm hoping that I can make up for all the stuff I may have left behind that the Fisher told me (liar!) were pulltabs! Any thoughts or tips for learning to distinguish the nuances of the tone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Scott

Upvote 0

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Only experience helps you 'brain discriminate' with a beep and dig, but really, you should be digging it all.
What sounds like a broken signal pull-tab at 8" might really be a ring at 13".

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre/GPP/Lesche/Bomb Sheath
The more i read about these machines the more i'm liking them.Metal detecting should be fun regardless of what machine you choose.Enjoy it.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zincolns, especially if they've been in the tot lot for a while or properly in the ground, tend to have almost a ringing sound. If they are just below the top coating of wood chips in a tot lot it may not ring, but will still be one very solid signal.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with practice you will be able to reverse discriminate and distinguish zincolns from lincolns, dimes from quarters and so forth by where they discriminate out and target sizing..Pull tabs and rings are a whole other story however..I nearly passed up a good ring because of the broken signal so if you're hunting jewelry you will pretty much have to dig it all. On my umax pennies just under the grass give a double beep. See if you notice that in your machine

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beat of luck to you. New machines are exciting! Learn it learn it learn it.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
You'll be well pleased with the Compadre. I owned at least one F2 (and most of the others) and moving to Tesoro is like stepping out of the night and into the day (there's that much difference).

The Compadre was designed mostly for smaller items and will pull jewelry out of high trash areas like few others can do.

Some day if you really want to move up to the ultimate, get the Tejon. But the Silver uMax with both the stock coil and large concentric is also very good.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
You'll be well pleased with the Compadre. I owned at least one F2 (and most of the others) and moving to Tesoro is like stepping out of the night and into the day (there's that much difference).

The Compadre was designed mostly for smaller items and will pull jewelry out of high trash areas like few others can do.

Some day if you really want to move up to the ultimate, get the Tejon. But the Silver uMax with both the stock coil and large concentric is also very good.

Best of luck.
Wow Badger, thats what I like to hear! I'm also thinking of getting a vaquero, so I can use it for nugget shooting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread