New the area and will soon to be new MDer

Akhuntr

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2009
I have recently moved to Hattiesburg and I'm enterested in the local laws or ordiances concerning metal detecting in and around Hattiesburg. I would also like any opinions on the Whites MXT. I have always wanted to get into metal detecting and decided there's no time like the present and I've been looking at the MXT so any info would be greatly appreciated.

HalfSpeed

Feb 10, 2008
Enid, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II, Ace 250's (2), Cobra Beach Magnet
Hi Akhuntr. Welcome to this forum. We need some new blood here. I live by Enid lake about 4 hours north of you. Look forward to you posting finds here.

I bought a used Whites Eagle II which I believe is the forerunner to the MXT. It does a great job in target ID, depth and pin pointing. Love the machine. It's good right out of the box. There is a learning curve to get the most out of it but you get better every time out. Lots of great advise on TNet if you check the Whites forum. Your own yard is a great training ground. Happy hunting and Good luck. :thumbsup:

salty dog

Aug 10, 2005
Southern Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Hi Akhuntr,
Welcome aboard.
I live in the Hattiesburg area and know a few other treasure hunters in the area also.
We get together when we can and do some detecting. It would be great for you to join us some time if you would like.
Redbronco, who posts on this site is also from the Hattiesburg area.
I haven't had any experience with a Whites. I've heard they are good machines.
Good luck and post your finds.
Lets keep the Mississippi posts coming in.

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to have you here Akhuntr. I have seen some good reviews on the MTX but have never personally tried one. Salty dog and myself have hunted together a couple of times and want to line up some more places and times. Keep posting and let us know when your ready to dig some holes.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Have any of you guys ever hunted the old swimming area at the Eastabuchie Bridge. That bridge was an area that Indians butchered game at, and many of the locals swam/swim there.

Also, you can find several old sites on Old River Road. I lived at Box 387, Old River Road before the owners house burned down. The Leaf River runs on the back of the property and his cousin still lives down there, his name is Wyatt Ellis. His place is on Wyatt Ellis Road.

I know other places over on the Airport Property, that property is posted now. Lots of people swam at the gravel pit on Old River Road too. Across from the gravel pit, up next to the Hwy. holds a few hiden places as does across the Hwy on the Airport Property.

My mother in law owns the spread off of Fortner Road, in the Kelley Settelment and off of the Monroe Road.

keithinvestigations

Mar 21, 2007
Ellisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LE
Hey Akhuntr. Hattiesburg is a great place to live glad you are in town. I live in Jones County, just north of you. I've been hunting for several years and mostly hunt private property with permission. Schools and parks are ok, but generally trashy. You have a great machine. The Whites MXT was my second unit and I quickly fell in love with it. It's easy to use and has great depth. I mostly relic hunt and it's a great machine for that as well. I don't post much on this board but maybe we can hunt sometime when you get back from AK. See ya, Davy Keith.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread