What's new

New to Coin Roll Hunting

Trailer Trash Tim

Tenderfoot
Joined
Mar 1, 2011
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
White Bear Township, Minnesota
I have always thought coins were neat, and kept a lookout for neat looking coins. I was looking up a Indian head penny that I got from god knows where, and found Coin Roll Hunting. It sounded fun. So last week I went to my bank and got 1 box of pennies, 2 box of dimes, and 2 boxes of halves. I found 1 40% half, and 3 silver dimes, and some wheat pennies (which I have always collected). Tomorrow I am picking up another box of halves that I ordered last week, and hope I get lucky. Any suggestions out there what to keep a eye out for besides silver in the halves and dimes.

Tim
 
Upvote 0
Don't edge search, You'll miss something like I did.

I was searching dimes in clear wrappers edge searching, foubd 1 by edge. opened the rolls anyway and out popped a 1947 roosevent dime!

Good luck!

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:
 
Look for 1987 halves and 1970, those dates were not made for circulation and are hard to find. Also anything 2002 and later was not made for circulation and is harder to find too, though not as rare as the 1970.

Finally got the 1987d I needed last week. Only keeper in the box, but better than nothing. I also found a 1920 British penny in bad shape, but very cool to find :)
 
conpewter said:
Look for 1987 halves and 1970, those dates were not made for circulation and are hard to find. Also anything 2002 and later was not made for circulation and is harder to find too, though not as rare as the 1970.

Finally got the 1987d I needed last week. Only keeper in the box, but better than nothing. I also found a 1920 British penny in bad shape, but very cool to find :)
1970 Half dollars are also 40% silver from sets only!
1964 and before are 90% silver and currently are worth $12.50
Half dollars 1965-1970 are 40% silver and are currently worth $5.10
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:
 
BuffaloBoy said:
Don't edge search, You'll miss something like I did.

I was searching dimes in clear wrappers edge searching, foubd 1 by edge. opened the rolls anyway and out popped a 1947 roosevent dime!

Good luck!

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

If you edge search you can't just do a quick scan. You have to take your time looking over every edge. Anything that is dirty, rusty, etc. you have to take out and check the date. That is what I usually do, and I'm pretty confident that I have yet to miss a silver dime.
 
Plus look for die errors. They are still out there so watch for them....Matt
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom