New to coins... should I purchase Half dollars from newspaper?

yorkiemiki

Jun 9, 2014
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
"Winbest" by Barska "Pro Edition Metal Detector"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm very interested in coins. I have been for a while and have a lot of 1800-1900 silver dollars that I inherited from an uncle.

I don't know the exact prices but I'm very interested in collecting bullion, coins, precious metals, even bars.

I've seen ads for silver bars online for about 10 ounces at like $225.

I also saw an ad in the newspaper for 1900 silver Barber Half-Dollars. They are $20 each, which I think is a good deal. I think in silver alond they are worth like $13, but I'm not sure? Would that be worth it as a collectors item or worth anything? It claims it's 62% lower than regular price.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on condition and mintmark. If in average circulated condition and Philadelphia minted, then $20 would be very high for a 1900 half. If in better condition then it may be a fair price, or even a bargain.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Stay away from Sellers advertising with big Ads in the newspapers. Check the classifieds section, Craigslist, eBay, local Coin Dealers, Flea Markets and sometimes Yard Sales. Just make sure you do your homework first and when you go to look at coins, be knowledgeable of what you are buying, their' values and whether they are genuine. If you make contact with anyone off Craigslist, make sure to meet in a public place and always check to insure that no one is following you when you leave. I usually arrange a meet inside a McDonald's or Pizza Hut Restaurant where the coins can be laid out on a table, inspected using a Gem Loupe and generally take my time to insure they are genuine and that I am getting a good price. If the person is just a normal individual selling some of his'/her' coins or an inheritance, I will offer to buy them something to eat and/or drink. This usually helps relieve the tension and jitters that we both have and then we can have some great conversations and make a deal.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread